Getting control flow to work on a Basic Stamp

Has anyone ever had any luck in getting control flow to work on a basic stamp? The Basic Stamp supports RTS/CTS, but I'm not sure how
to use it. I'm interfacing the serial on my PC via a python library called pySerial.
This is what I have on my Basic Stamp. I'm using NON-INVERTED (whatever that means):
SERIN 16\0, etc...
So basically I'm assuming that means 16 is used as the input and 0 is used as the flow control pin... however, this means its putting out the flow control signals over the pins that are plugged into my breadboard and not into the serial cable!! Moreover, I probe the serial pins using the pySerial library and there no change to the pins before and after the call to SERIN.
I know that in the Basic Stamp documentation it says:
"All basic stamps has a line receiver on its SIN pin (Rpin = 16)." p.277 of http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/stamps/BasicStampMan.pdf.
OK so if I put 16 as Rpin for the SERIN command I can reference one of the pins from the serial port (as above), but what about the other pins, namely the ones that do flow control?! It seems there is no way.
So then I tried SERIN 16\16, using the same pin for the flow control, but this doesn't really make sense and doesn't seem to work either.
Please, has anyone successfully used flow control with their basic stamp? How did you do it?
thanks! juliabean