Basic OOPIC Robots

Hi,
I am looking for a basic OOPIC robot kit for around $200. Does anyone know of any good kits.
Thank you in advance for any help, Curtis

Hey,
There are a bunch. You can go to http://www.budgetrobotics.com and look at a few of the 'bot chassis's there and then tag on an OOPic R for about $90. You can go to http://www.junun.org and bonk on the Mark III store, get the Mark III kit with the OOPic chip option, it'll be around $100 total, but you'll have to build the board and configure it. You can look at Budget Robotcs for the platform, and then go to http://www.oricomtech.com and get an OOBot board (I or II) and be well under $200 total too.
Of course I'm assuming that you are USA since you mention US $$.
have fun, DLC
: Hi,
: I am looking for a basic OOPIC robot kit for around $200. Does anyone : know of any good kits.
: Thank you in advance for any help, Curtis
* Dennis Clark snipped-for-privacy@frii.com www.techtoystoday.com *
I had a basic OOPIC (version 1). Ya, it works but the computer software code is a hassle compared to a Basic Stamp Code of logic low (off) and logic high (on). Logic High to turn on gates, bases, etc.. Just buy a Basic StampII kit with software, serial cable, etc... and you'll see more simplicity.

IMO, the Stamp code is kind of primitive by comparison to the OOPic, no background processing, no hardware object support, no true A2D (still!) While the Stamps are solid as a mountain on reliability, support and software examples, they are kind of dated in their approach.
The OOPics are a lower cost option that offer some nice robotics hardware object support like the niftier PIC and AVR compilers do, but with an OO kind of approach that (I at least) find appealing. If you write code for the OOPic like you write code for a Stamp you will run as slow or slower than the Stamps and won't get the advantages of the OO Virtual Circuit approach. You will also feel that it is more complex than the Stamp, like you mentioned. However, very sophisticated code can be written by just linking robot objects together and turning the VC loose. I wrote a line follower on an OOPic R that used three or four objects and about 15 lines of code. It works better than just about every other line follower in our local club. It almost felt like I was cheating...
Yeah, I wrote a book about the OOPic, so I am perhaps a bit jaded, but I like to use a lot of the other embedded processors out there too, so I'm not shilling for Savage Innovations.
IMO, YMMV, DLC