OOPIC programming cable

Does anyone have an insight on how to test a oopic programming cable? My oopic displays an error when I try to download a program to it. I bought the oopic and cable from acroname recently. How to test for the diodes, resistor, and a capacitor that they are of the correct value, they are installed with the correct polarity? Any help would be appreciated. I have a digital multimeter but only know how to use the DC volt part of it. Also what types of electronics would a would a diode of type 1N4148 and 1N914 be in? Or should I order these parts? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Reply to
Mike

You can find the schematic for the cable on the OOPIC website at the following link.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Dan

Well, don't you mean you want to fix a broken one? To test the cable you just plug it in, if all works, then the cable is fine. What makes you think that the cable is bad? What is the error that you get? Did you calibrate the cable before you used it? Are you using a WNT, W2K or WXP system? If so, did you install the port95nt.exe before you installed the OOPic IDE? The cable has two resistors and three diodes in it, and is very rarely at fault. Usually it is one of three things:

  1. Some driver for a parallel port mounted disk causing problems.
  2. Pin 19 of the parallel port isn't at ground, it is a cable detect.
  3. Not enough drive on the parallel port to run the OOPic programming.
  4. High capacitance cable between the OOPic cable that the laptop.

There are a variety of solutions depending upon what the actual problem is.

have fun, DLC

: Does anyone have an insight on how to test a oopic programming cable? : My oopic displays an error when I try to download a program to it. I : bought the oopic and cable from acroname recently. How to test for the : diodes, resistor, and a capacitor that they are of the correct value, : they are installed with the correct polarity? Any help would be : appreciated. I have a digital multimeter but only know how to use the : DC volt part of it. Also what types of electronics would a would a : diode of type 1N4148 and 1N914 be in? Or should I order these parts? : I would greatly appreciate any help.

Reply to
Dennis Clark

The error was:

"The I2C Bus Clock line reported a logic state of 0, when a logic state of 1 was expected. This could be caused by any one fo the the following.

A There was no, or not enough, voltage powering the oopic b I2C clock is shorted to ground in either cable or oopic C I2C status is shorted to ground in the cable. D. Another I2C master is controlling the I2C bus."

The cable was calibrated. I am using XP, but installed the port95nt.exe driver before I installed the oopic program. I bought the cable from acroname, so it should be fine. I don't believe that it would be problem number 4 because it is a premade cable. The other problems might be suspect. What is meant by "not enough drive"? And Pin 19 should be at ground normally? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Mike

Mike wrote: Mike,

: The error was: : "The I2C Bus Clock line reported a logic state of 0, when a logic : state of 1 was expected. This could be caused by any one fo the the : following. [snip] : The cable was calibrated. I am using XP, but installed the : port95nt.exe driver before I installed the oopic program. I bought : the cable from acroname, so it should be fine. I don't believe that it : would be problem number 4 because it is a premade cable. The other : problems might be suspect. What is meant by "not enough drive"? And : Pin 19 should be at ground normally? Thanks for your help.

In many laptops the power saving has been cut to the bone. In these extreme cases, there may not be enough current supplied in the parallel port to enable the EEPROM inputs as well as handle the diodes/resistors in the cable. Pin 19 is the pin that the OOPic cable uses for ground, coincidentally, we've discovered that many laptops put a pullup on that pin to detect when a parallel port or printer cable is attached to the system. We've come up with a solution to every known problem with the "active OOPic" parallel cable. This has a 74HCT244 in it that the parallel port talks to, and which talks to the OOPic board. I have the circuit in my book, which is listed in my tagline. ANother frequent problem is the presence of a driver for parallel port mounted hard disks, floppies, CD-ROMs and tape backups. These drivers often poll the port which interferes with the OOPic download process.

Did that answer your questions? DLC

: Dennis Clark wrote in message news:... :> Mike wrote: :> :> Well, don't you mean you want to fix a broken one? To test the cable :> you just plug it in, if all works, then the cable is fine. What :> makes you think that the cable is bad? What is the error that you get? :> Did you calibrate the cable before you used it? Are you using a :> WNT, W2K or WXP system? If so, did you install the port95nt.exe before :> you installed the OOPic IDE? The cable has two resistors and three :> diodes in it, and is very rarely at fault. Usually it is one of three :> things: :> 1. Some driver for a parallel port mounted disk causing problems. :> 2. Pin 19 of the parallel port isn't at ground, it is a cable detect. :> 3. Not enough drive on the parallel port to run the OOPic programming. :> 4. High capacitance cable between the OOPic cable that the laptop. :> :> There are a variety of solutions depending upon what the actual problem :> is. :> :> have fun, :> DLC :> :> : Does anyone have an insight on how to test a oopic programming cable? :> : My oopic displays an error when I try to download a program to it. I :> : bought the oopic and cable from acroname recently. How to test for the :> : diodes, resistor, and a capacitor that they are of the correct value, :> : they are installed with the correct polarity? Any help would be :> : appreciated. I have a digital multimeter but only know how to use the :> : DC volt part of it. Also what types of electronics would a would a :> : diode of type 1N4148 and 1N914 be in? Or should I order these parts? :> : I would greatly appreciate any help.

Reply to
Dennis Clark