which wireless connection should I buy?

I need to hook up a simple wireless connection between my laptop and my robot. I'm on a tight budget, so economy is the key feature I'm looking for. Range is not important (I'll never be standing more than a couple meters away), and data rate isn't particularly important either (I'll be sending very small amounts of data). Two-way communications isn't necessary at this point; the robot needs to receive but doesn't need to data.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

- Joe

P.S. Merry Christmas!

Reply to
Joe Strout

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure where you live, so I don't know whether this is useful for you, but I've been using a Conrad

433MHz transmitter & receiver, order nr. 130428-89. They cost together EUR 15 and allow a range throughout our house (maybe further, haven't tried) at datarates up to 1200bps.

Best regards,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Baltus

Pretty hard to get a lot cheaper than that -- $11.95 for a transmitter/receiver pair...

Later, Jon

-------------------------------------------------------------- Jon Hylands snipped-for-privacy@huv.com

Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)

Jon Hylands

they're cheap for a reason. with 433mhz ask devices bit errors are very common. i've used them before and they work nicely but plan on implementing some kind of checksum to verify transmissions.

-chris.

Reply to
e c kern

It is trivially simple to get this type of link working. (I work on this sort of hardware for my day job). What intrigues me is how these things remain FCC-legal since the duty cycle is controlled by the host.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I'm in the U.S. (sorry I forgot to mention that), but this sounds like a great deal. Maybe I can find an American distributor for it. Thanks for the tip!

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

Thanks, that does look like a great option!

Best,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout