which wireless connection should I buy?

I need to hook up a simple wireless connection between my laptop and my robot. I'm on a tight budget, so economy is the key feature I'm looking
for. Range is not important (I'll never be standing more than a couple meters away), and data rate isn't particularly important either (I'll be sending very small amounts of data). Two-way communications isn't necessary at this point; the robot needs to receive but doesn't need to data.
Any recommendations?
Thanks, - Joe
P.S. Merry Christmas!
Hi Joe,
I'm not sure where you live, so I don't know whether this is useful for you, but I've been using a Conrad (www.conrad.nl) 433MHz transmitter & receiver, order nr. 130428-89. They cost together EUR 15 and allow a range throughout our house (maybe further, haven't tried) at datarates up to 1200bps.
Best regards,
Peter

I'm in the U.S. (sorry I forgot to mention that), but this sounds like a great deal. Maybe I can find an American distributor for it. Thanks for the tip!
Best, - Joe

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id2
Pretty hard to get a lot cheaper than that -- $11.95 for a transmitter/receiver pair...
Later, Jon
-------------------------------------------------------------- Jon Hylands snipped-for-privacy@huv.com http://www.huv.com/jon
Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot) http://www.huv.com/blog
they're cheap for a reason. with 433mhz ask devices bit errors are very common. i've used them before and they work nicely but plan on implementing some kind of checksum to verify transmissions.
-chris.

e c kern wrote:

It is trivially simple to get this type of link working. (I work on this sort of hardware for my day job). What intrigues me is how these things remain FCC-legal since the duty cycle is controlled by the host.

Thanks, that does look like a great option!
Best, - Joe