Wireless network quality monitoring

Hiey,

Which wireless network cards should I use in my notebook and in my PC104+ computer stack (both are going to run either QNX or Linux or WinXP) so that I can monitor the SNR -signal to noise ratio- and RSSI

-received signal strength indicator- values?

How to access SNR and RSSI values from QNX and from Linux and from WinXP?

Roberto Hawkowski

Reply to
Roberto

As long as you are using a purely intel type CPU then most cards will work. See the open source ndiswrapper project to find out how to use the windoze drivers under linux. I'm not sure what options you have under QNX. Also, I've noted that the linux kernel wireless extensions can give erroneous information when querying things like SNR and RSSI.

Also note that 802.11 in unlicensed bands yields extremely unpredictable latency so realtime delivery of video and command and control functions probably wont work reliably.

If you are just building a battlebot then no biggie but don't try to drive an unmanned ground vehicle via a realtime 802.11 video feed.

Reply to
noone