wiring custom JST connectors?

Does anybody know of a source for bare JST (aka GWS-like or BEC-style) connectors, without wires already attached? In some cases I'd like to choose my own wire gauge and length, but unlike some other connectors, I've so far only been able to find these pre-wired.

Also, our local robotics club is thinking about adopting JST as our standard connectors for low-to-medium current connections. If anybody has an opinion about that, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

| Does anybody know of a source for bare JST (aka GWS-like or BEC-style) | connectors, without wires already attached? In some cases I'd like to | choose my own wire gauge and length, but unlike some other connectors, | I've so far only been able to find these pre-wired.

Scroll down to `BEC/JST Pin Kit' -- there's two kits, a male and a female one. | Also, our local robotics club is thinking about adopting JST as our | standard connectors for low-to-medium current connections. If anybody | has an opinion about that, I'd love to hear it.

I don't like them. Even a few amps of current will cause them to get warm, and that's energy that could have been used to power my plane.

Personally, I prefer the polarized mini Deans plugs for up to about 10 amps, and the Deans ultra plugs for more than that. The Astroflight `zero loss' connectors are really good for really high currents, but they're relatively expensive (about 2-3x as much as the Deans ultra plugs.)

One really nice thing about the polarized mini Deans plugs is that they're unisex -- both ends are the same -- so you don't end up with lots of extras of one type. The downside is that you could plug two batteries into each other with disasterous results. (And my 3 year old son would probably love to do that!)

Radical RC sells all these connectors.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

has various JST connectors. You'll have to check for the proper sizes.

Reply to
dan michaels

I tried DigiKey's "live chat" tech support, and they were unable to find these connectors in their system. But it could just be because it's nearly impossible to find ANYTHING in Digi-Key's system -- at least, that's how I always feel when I try. :) Were you able to find them?

Thanks,

- Joe

Reply to
Joe Strout

I didn' try to find your particular connectors. However, if you go to the site and enter "JST connector" into search, you can browse around.

Also, if it's this hard to find a connector that you want to "standardize" on for FRRC, then I'd suggest you go to something else entirely. Try Molex or AMP, for instance.

Reply to
dan michaels

You can get BEC-style connectors at Newark Electronics - that is if BEC stands for Battery Eliminator Connector. If it does, IMO that is a bad choice for robotics. They have no detent mechanism and constantly pull out of the header connector pins. I like Molex KK connectors for low power connections. They stay securely connected and can handle up to

7A.

BRW

Reply to
BRW

refer to

Regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby Model & RC Web Links

A.T.