boat wiring

My friend's boat wiring is FUBAR. Its a 25 year old salt water unit with a Cummins diesel and single screw. There is what's left of a system to switch from Bat A to Bat B or both. Its been through a couple 'canes and had salt water up to the deck a couple times. Plus

25 years of hack electrical repairs.

Anyway, I'd like to start with some sort of load center to handle the winch, starter, alternator and bat A /bat B systems, and a whole bunch of small breakers for all the small loads. Anyone know of such a unit for salt water boats?

We have a crew of four willing to attack this problem on windy days over the next three months. But we need her to sail when the wind goes down.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

There are all manner of marine electrical components available to choose from, but I think you'll mostly have to assemble everything from components vs. some stock all-in-one unit. Things such as the high current battery selector switches are readily panel mountable as are most other components.

I'd recommend using the euro style plastic electrical enclosures with clear covers to enclose bus bars with DC circuit breakers and other non panel mounted components. Use good watertight cable entrance connectors for all cables entering those enclosures.

Use dielectric grease to help moisture proof inside connectors. Use good

3M self fusing splicing tape on connections wherever you can to seal out moisture. Use quality cable clamps to secure all the wiring with good frequency so things are kept neat, and don't skimp on cable ties either. Watch out for high vibration areas, pinch points, etc.

Use wire number markers on all wires (the 10 roll type work well) and cover with clear heat shrink to provide extra protection for the marine environment. Make a full, neat color diagram of all wiring, including the circuit numbers, fuse / breaker amperages, etc. Print copies of this diagram on a color laser printer and laminate well, leaving a wide sealing edge in the laminating film. Permanently affix this diagram in relevant locations (screws or VHB tape) and also put copies in document pouches in those areas for removable documentation.

Reply to
Pete C.

And use stranded tinned wire only.

Reply to
CaveLamb

Also adhere to the marine standard wire color and gauge specification. JR Dweller in the cellar

Pete C. wrote:

Reply to
JR North

AND if these components are in the engine compartment the use explosion rated components.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

Karl, There has been a lot written about marine wiring systems and most are good references. All your wire should be fine strand plated wire. Accept nothing else. However, the most important thing you can do is isolate DC return from the hull and engine. In point of fact you should install an LED in an obvious location that connects between Battery and hull earth. If it comes on, chase it down. This Isolation will eliminate vulnerability to electrolysis and electrolytic corrosion. This is only practical when wiring new, so now is the time. You will have to isolate the prop shaft from the gearbox, as well as all the engine mounts. Inevitably all the engine sensors will use the block as a return path along with the starter motor.. Steve

"
Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Reply to
Brian Lawson

While that is good advise for a gasoline powered boat, I don't think it's really necessary for a diesel powered boat.

Reply to
Pete C.

Great website, thanks.

Everybody else, thanks for the suggestions. I'm off to the bookstores and library for books on this. This is more in depth than I thought. Easy to make a newbie mistake on a project like this.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I can add only one tip, Karl: Wait until all connections are made and working before going back and adding the dielectric grease to all the connections. DAMHIKT

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Another reference book that you might want to pick up is The 12 Volt Bible for Boats.

And a few links for marine electrical parts... (West Marine is about as pricey as they get)

And my own little rewire project... (The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly)

CaveLamb

Hello Karl. I recently wired up a boat and used components from Blue Sea Systems.They have an excellent tool on their website that calculates wire sizes based on loads and lengths and a few other factors. I actually spoke to a guy there who knew his stuff and was very helpful (if you value that kind of stuff)

If you cant find a stock panel for your needs, you can go custom with an outfit called Mobil Marine Wiring out of Newburyport, MA. Disclamer: I never actually bought anthing from him, but he was kind enough to recommend a stock Blue Seas panel for my simple setup.

As far as conductors go, the least expensive place that I found to buy was

Greg cut and put on the end fittings for all my high current cables. For the lighter gage wires, I bought the wire from him and crimped the ends myself. I invested a few bucks for a double crimp tool from Ancor which made nice crimps easily.

Good recommendations in this thread for documenting your work for the next guy.

Good luck with your project Andy Lynn, MA

Reply to
andy