Zilog's Zdots-ePIR "tunable" PIR module

Anyone thinking about using PIR motion detection on a robot? I ran across a new one yesterday while I was placing a parts order at
Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com).
Mouser is offering Zilog's new ePIR motion detector module, an MCU/sensor/lens assembly with a serial interface. The best part is the price -- $6.50USD -- since, the last time I looked, a basic 5V TTL PIR module with lens ran $7-9.
Listed as an "SBC" item, the 8-pin ePIR runs off 2.7-3.6V, needs around 9mA (2.3mA in "sleep" mode), and can drive 25mA.
I can't reach Zilog's server just now, so I can't pull up a copy of the PS0284.pdf Product Specification, but the PB0223.pdf introductory brochure I grabbed yesterday mentions the bidirectional 9600/8/n/1 serial interface offering access to sensitivity, range, and direction controls.
No, I didn't order one. <sigh!> I have too many unfinished projects sitting around just now... so I have to come up with a new project to justify ordering a couple. Wonder if you can reprogram the Z8 MCU? <grin!>
Enjoy... Oh, and the new Sharp 3.5_W_ LED-array modules look neat, too. (Aha! The world is _obviously_ just waiting for someone to develop a new spelunking servomechanism!)
Frank McKenney -- There are many definitions of what art is, but what I am convinced art is not is self-expression. If I have an experience, it is not important because it is mine. It is important because it's worth writing about for other people, worth sharing with other people. That is what gives it validity. -- W. H. Auden -- Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut mined spring dawt cahm (y'all)
It's not a bad concept but you have to stop the robot to take a reading. They are useful if your robot is acting as a sentry and simply waiting for motion to go across it.
Apart from that it *is* a great price. Looks like a terrific item for hacking and making all sorts of nifty little projects.
-- Gordon