100mm motor pics

I've placed a couple of pics of the 100mm motor that I lugged out to LDRS-- a semi-custom job originally intended for a Mark Simpson FTBOD, but not actually flown.

The injector, with all those loops of nylon hose!

A view of the assembled motor, from the nozzle end, including fill stinger, and an Estes Alpha for scale...

Reply to
Marcus Leech

What are the loops of hose for?

Sweet!

Reply to
RayDunakin

According to Marcus Leech :

Hey! _We_ lugged that thing to LDRS!

You just had to do the "act like a sauve rocket scientist" bit and pose for pictures.

[Unfortunately we didn't have any nitrous in the car, otherwise, we'd have been tempted to cross the St. Lawrence without using the bridge ;-)]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

When you're designing U/C hybrids, you have several choices in trying to get high flow rates of N2O into the chamber. You can use a single, large fill-hose/compression-fitting combination. This generally sucks, since the sonic flow will tend to piss a lot of N2O out the nozzle unreacted.

You can use Dave Griffiths (Rattworks) trick of hiding a more sophisticated injector inside a large fill hose--the "real" injector "uncloaks" at the moment of ignition.

Or, you can use a cluster of much smaller fill-hoses/injectors, with all but one of the injector ports looped to a partner. This gives you a more efficient total flow, both because at least part of the flow is concentrated towards the outside (and stands a better change of being in the flame zone at the grain surface), and because the multiple flows interact to produce finer droplets.

To abuse a phrase "Just Tech Marcus".

Reply to
Marcus Leech