Model Rocket burns down house

Interesting story... Anyone have any details? Was it a Cato? How did a model start a fire?

"a model rocket fired from the school landed on the roof of an Ivy Drive home, causing a two-alarm fire that gutted the home."

May this be a lesson to us all.

Reply to
Wayne Johnson

You have to register to access this link. :^(

Reply to
bit eimer

Why does newspapers insist on registration just to read one story? It isn't like I am going to be there every day to read a story. Advertisers care about how many registered users come back day after day, not about the person who reads one story ever.

I work for a newspaper, but we allow you to read a page or two before we require registration.

Reply to
Brian Elfert

My browser has " Rocket tradition still boosts students' learning "

as the title of the story.

the house burned down in 2002, and was a tiny blurb in a larger story about how great rockets are for leanring.

It appears that saving the rocket program was a good move on the district's part. It is by far, the most popular lesson for eighth-graders at Orinda Intermediate School.

"Building rockets is the highlight of the year," said eighth-grader Giulia Rogers. "We get to launch them and that's the best part."

As he looked around the room at the student rocket-builders, he reflected on how far his rocket program had come.

"I've had kids come back and tell me that they will always remember the rockets," he said.

Some have gone on to become pilots, scientists and aerospace engineers, thanks in part to his rocket program.

"This really is the main project of the year. The one every eighth-grader waits for," said eighth-grader Chelsea Hayman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- small exerpts taken from contracostatimes as journalistic examples and not a work of the whole.

Reply to
AlMax

Sorry, didn't ask for registration for me.

Yea, the story was very positive, even in light of the fire. If it had happened in Minneapolis, they would have not only cancelled the program, but banned all rocket propellent within 500 feet of any school, and added search dogs trained to alert on the presence of APCP or BP.

Just curious if anyone had heard how the accident burnt down a house.

Reply to
Wayne Johnson

Simple solution: when you come acorss a site like this, make up a name and post the password. Something like snipped-for-privacy@rmr.org / rocket1 might work.

Bob Kaplow

ejection charge lights dry leaves in gutters and starts the rotting plywood under the shingles going, then the whole thing...

well, best I can think up.

Reply to
AlMax

HTH,

TK

Reply to
TDKozan

google cache has the story:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:x1poNqS2zCgJ:

Cliff Sojourner

um that is the story from 2002 and has been re-hased here before at least twice I believe

Reply to
tater schuld

Or use Bug Me Not. It gives you a donated name/password you can use. They have them for almost all newspapers now. You can also get it as a browser plug-in if you're using FireFox.

Reply to
Michael Roy Hollihan