monokote overPML Quantum tube?

Anybody have any experience/advice on applying monokote to QT? I have never done monokote before so I am a complete novice. I was thinking of sanding the tubes with 220 grit, rolling on the monokote, pulling it tight, and holding it in place with some masking tape, then hitting it with the iron. I also have a heat gun, but I'm scared to try it on QT.

I am assuming that the adhesive will melt before the QT 8^)

I was going to cut slots in the monokote for the fins and leave plenty of room for fillets to attach to the QT. Then I was going to attach the fins, add fillets, monokote the fins and then the fillets.

Thanks,

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael Smart

I have used the Monokote trim sheets on QT as it has its own contact adhesive and requires no heat. Regular Monokote will not work very well as the QT surface is not very porous and therefore will bubble when heat is applied as the QT surface will not release the trapped air bubbles between the Monokote and the QT surface.

I apply the trim sheet Monocote to QT and any finished surface; by making a 25-75 % dish washing liquid and water solution. I slather the solution on the surface i wish to apply the trim sheet cutout. I then position the trim sheet piece, with the backing removed, on the surface to be covered, smoothing out the bubbles trapped between the trim sheet and surface. The soap solution allows for positioning movement of the trim sheet and air bubble removal. Normally if you do not use the soap solution when applying trim sheet, you only have one shot at getting it right, as the contact glue on the back of the trim sheet is of good quality and sticks permanently to the first dry surface it makes contact with. You can use the back of a small tablet to fashion a squeegee for removing the bubbles. work carefully and quickly from the center of the trim sheet, working your way out to the edges. Once you have the trim sheet positioned and the air bubbles worked out, let the work piece set for a few hours and the residual soap will dry completely and the trim piece will be permanently attached. I have used this method with all kind of decals, backed with contact cement, even on full scale operational aircraft and boats; it works well. Hope this helps.

Fred

Michael Smart wrote:

Reply to
W. E.Fred Wallace

Hi Miichael.

I would recommend contact vinyl instead.

mono coat likes open spar balsa. It give me fits on solid balsa or paper tubes, but I have been able to make those work some what. I really prefer ultracoat instead for planes.

getting it to work on plastic really sounds like a bear.

as for fillets, try to make them inside the tube instead of outside, or if you must, just use a triangle spar from a hobby shop if you want an outside fillet for aerodynamic purposes, easy to cover. use the inside fillets for strenght.

Reply to
almax

You might want to try one of the other coverings such as Econokote, that adhere with a lower temperature....so low they can be ironed onto styrofoam.

Reply to
Bill Botook

Also, you'll have better luck by covering the filets first THEN the fins.

Reply to
Bill Botook

I've never tried it on QT. But my first thought is that for solid surfaces like we deal with in rocketry, use Econokote (or Towerkote) instead of Monokote. It uses a lower temperature, but more importantly, works better over solid surfaces. Probably because it shrinks more.

Some roughing of the surface mgith help adheasion, but too much WILL show trough the surface. Spirals on kraft tube certainly show through.

And my experience is that it's easier to cover pieces (tube, fins, etc) before assembly, then just tack a strip of Econokote over the glue seam after assembly.

As to covering, I lay it out, and start with the iron in one place and work up and down the length of the tube, a bit at a time, first towards one end of the coating, then the other way towards the other end. Tacking the end in place first usually guarantees wrinkles.

Bob Kaplow