Monokote Over Fiberglass

I have glassed the center section of a 2 piece wing and am having a helluva time getting the monokote to adhere. Is there a trick to this?

Reply to
Donato

Ummm... maybe..

This is for polyester "glass"only, - it's different for "poxies" ...

- Get it SMOOTH....

-Wash with acetone.. dry...

- Sand to 220 - 250 grit..

-Wash with CLEAN water.. dry ..

- Paint on a thin coat of "film" Balsarite... Gotta be fast here..

- When dry to the touch, smooth the Monokote on, attaching with heat to activate the balsarite adhesive, NOT the Monokote adhesive..

- Use the iron to seal the edges of the Monokote, careful smoothing with the glove/iron/gun should do the rest..

- I have a Byron F-20 fuse done this way, (the WHOLE thing!)

....looks great after 10 yrs..

Dave

Reply to
dgamblin

I have had good luck adhering monocote to fiberglass /epoxy. sand the surface with fine paper, clean well with alcohol. Don't need balsarite. Using this simple technique works well for me, in fact I have had trouble removing the monocote when recovering the wing after repairs.

Ed

D>I have glassed the center section of a 2 piece wing and am having a helluva

Reply to
Ed Smega

I use denatured alcohol . . . a bit less 'aggressive' than acetone, and it works for both types of glass finishes. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan