[OT - semi] Mars Rover Animated Videos

I'm sure by now pretty much everyone has seen the animated videos that
NASA put out, covering the launch, flight, landing and roving of the
current Mars mission. I, for one, consider this video to be one of
NASA's best releases of this kind of material. It's superbly done. The
segments which comprise the whole been used innumerable times on news
media world wide.
There's a couple notes I'd like to pass along to folks regarding this
video.
First, it was produced with a sound track. The launch/flight sequence
uses Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" (lyrics at
. The
music and the lyrics go together with the video in the same superb
manner as the video production itself. The second segment (approach
and landing) uses Holst's "Mars" from The Planets, and is equally
good. The third segment, I frankly can't recall the music, but it's a
haunting electronic thing that fits very well with the rovers'
exploring.
Now, the video is available from NASA for free. You can download it,
and you can also receive it on tape from them (a benefit of their
being a publically funded agency). Unfortunately, due to licensing
agreements, you cannot obtain a copy of the video with the sound
track. UNLESS, you are a K-12 educators. For them, it's available, and
free for the asking. Not being a widely publicized thing, I don't have
a link or email for this, but a little pushing on a local NASA
PR/media contact person, and anyone with K-12 educator credentials
should be able to get it.
The second factoid is regarding the credits. One name in the credits
is the Mars rover mission director, as "technical consultant". The
other name is that of a guy named "Dan Maas". He did the entire thing
by himself, while serving as a summer intern student with NASA. He
just so happens to have started a company for doing this sort of work.
I'm not posting that to advertise for him, but rather because I think
that he's received far too little recognition for the excellent work.
As his page says, the video, with 6 new minutes of material, will be
included on NOVA's "Mars, Dead or Alive" on PBS, Jan. 4 and Jan 6.
You can watch (though not download) his work in Quicktime format from
his website. The video is missing some portions from the original, and
does not have the same soundtrack (no Lenny Kravitz) at
but he put the same editing
skills into it. Watch how the music from Holst matches the action.
Reply to
Doktor DynaSoar
I got bootleg copies of these and you just cannoit beleive how well the Kravitz soundtrack fits, had to listen to it 4 times in a row to catch most of the nuances (like when he sings "out to the stars, the milky way, and even mars)
Reply to
Tater Schuld
} } > First, it was produced with a sound track. The launch/flight sequence } > uses Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" (lyrics at } >
. The } > music and the lyrics go together with the video in the same superb } > manner as the video production itself. The second segment (approach } > and landing) uses Holst's "Mars" from The Planets, and is equally } > good. The third segment, I frankly can't recall the music, but it's a } > haunting electronic thing that fits very well with the rovers' } > exploring. } } I got bootleg copies of these and you just cannoit beleive how well } the Kravitz soundtrack fits, had to listen to it 4 times in a row to } catch most of the nuances (like when he sings "out to the stars, the } milky way, and even mars)
That's my point. Not only did this guy do a superb job on the video, but he did just as good with matching up the sound track to the action. I wish they would have kept at least the Holst portion of the original soundtrack. IIRC, that's old enough to be public domain.
I don't know if anyone who caught the show noticed it: It aired at 8 PM EST. It included a shot of the first color picture from Spirit. That came through yesterday. They completed this show only 24 hours before air time.
More to the interest of us rocket surgeons is the problems they had with the test parachutes. They "squidded". I've never seen that happen before. Something to watch for in designing.
Reply to
Doktor DynaSoar