Ping Pong Ball

Ok; I admit it. I don't have a clue what a ping pong ball is good for or how to "utilize" it. Maybe a nose cone for small diameter rockets?
I have taken the gist of previous threads that mention various implements like recovery ejections and igniters.
What is ping pong ball lacquer? Is it melted down ping pong balls?
What are all things "rocketry" that can be helped by ping pong balls?
I haven't dug up that much on it yet... just starting here.
TIA
~ Duane Phillips.
Duane Phillips wrote:

Most ping-pong balls (especially ones from China) are made of nitro-cellulose (AKA gun cotton.) Cut one up and light it some time, you'll get an idea of how vigorously it burns.
Ping pong ball lacquer is simply ping pong balls dissolved is a solvent; either acetone or MEK, I don't recall off hand which. Anyway, dissolve them down into a nice thin goo and it makes a great binder for ignites. I think someone mentioned mixing crushed sparklers in with it. Mix it up, dip your bridge wire in it, let it dry, and it'll go fzzzt fairly well.
I suspect that the real pyros have other uses for it as well.
Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR
Mark Hamilton wrote:

I make my with acetone. Awesome binder for igniters.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Use acetone for fast drying solvent, but if you need more time to work with it (for whatever reason) use lacquer thinner because it dries slower than acetone.
--
TAI FU
"the notorious t-e-d" < snipped-for-privacy@foadspammer.com> wrote in message
the notorious t-e-d wrote:

Lacquer thinner works well too. Use a bottle you can get a pliers around to twist the lid as it glues stuff up pretty good.
Well they say ping pong balls are made of nitrocellouse or something, probably cellouid type plastic (alot of early Fender pickguard is also made of this material). What they use for it is some kind of binder for igniter materials because it burns well. You can also use deft or parks lacquer as well because they are also nitrocellouse (if you dont want to buy ping pong balls for that purpose or needs a clear NC lacquer rather than a white or yellow one)
--
TAI FU
"Duane Phillips" < snipped-for-privacy@askme.askme> wrote in message
tai fu wrote:

The balls in the US have some sort of inhibitor to combustion in them so one really can't use it alone as a pyrogen. It is a good vehicle to add pyrogens to.
In 1974 at HORM III we had the all time ping pong ball event flowen, it was Ping Pong Ball spot landing and the rocket could carry any number of ball, it was a "D" engine event and everyones balls where ID'ed with a number. The one who got at lest one of their balls nearest the target spot won. We had birds that carried up to 6+ balls and they when everywhere.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Sounds fun, but a mess to clean up. Did you win?
~ Duane Phillips.

I couldn't fly, I was HOSTING the meet, Honolulu Open Rocket Meet which during the 70's I put on along with WARM over in Hawaii. Not only flying some odd ball events, but all under the SIAR banner too. At this one we had some 30 kids enter the meet and there was prizes from the major model rocket companys given away too. Each flyer had to pick up their balls before they got their 2nd flight. It was fun, the biggest bird carried 15 balls! kind of looked like a Titan 3C
Has such events as Goonybird PD, rockets had to be estes goonybirds, and one of them holds the all time record for most oddball landing happing.
It landed in the goft driving range and it came down on a ball on it's hitting stand just as a guy was swinging his club to hit the ball. Rocket was smashed, but it still took 2nd place.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Starlord wrote:

I'd be real curious which park in Honolulu you folks flew in. From '72 to '82 I spent the month of Dec and part Jan in Maui but as you know, everyone lands in Honolulu. I swear I remember watching a launch at a park when I was about 7 or so.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
It was the park that's down at the end of Waikiki Beach area, kind of next door to the Honolulu Zoo and the Waikiki Shell, it's at the foot of DimondHead too. Now had to find, as it's really the only park there, has a line of pine trees that lines the Ocean side and keeps most flying stuff from there unless your a BoostGlider that gets carryed up and over on the tradewinds. The driving range is now gone.

Telescope Buyers FAQ

Sounds like Kapiolani Park.
--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Mike Pearson <see .sig> wrote:

That's it! I remember passing that park during the Honolulu marathon in 1982.
IIRC Hunter S. Thompson mentioned the park in his book 'The curse of lono'.
btw, I highly recommend the book. Truly hilarious typical HST observation of the marathon. HST elaboration of the aftermath of 'carb'ing out' still makes me cringe and laugh. Lets put it this way, Kapiolani Park had plenty of fertilizer after the marathon :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
You should see it after some of the kricket matchs, there a team or two that when the fans show up, they leave behind a good two tons of trash. It's also not a bad park for stargazing late at night too. My meets used the space just above 20 yards into the park from that small parkinglot on the mountain side of the park, last time I saw it the lot was still there in 97.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Starlord wrote:

I REALLY have to get my butt back there. Considering that Hawaii was such a huge part of my life back then, I'm surprised I haven't made it back. Last time was Sept 1985.
But if/when I do make it back I'm sure as hell won't be running any marathons there, that's for sure. Knees too bad from playing puck :(
Wow, I'm going to have to visit my parents house and look for some old pics. I remember getting my picture taken with Jack Lord and few others on the set of Hawaii 5-0. God, I was like 7 or so. I know my parents still have a couple of old paintings that Jack painted from way back then.
You know something, it probably was YOU I saw flying rockets there! Hell, that's how I got my start flying rockets a couple of years after that.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
It could have been, I started flying rockets right after I moved there in 1970, had built one when I lived in Pasadea but couldn't buy engines nor fly it anywhere then in 1966.
At one time I was the NAR State Deprt. head for Hawaii, and when a new guy came in to run the parks department, he totaly banned model rocketry. So I have a meeting with the Mayor, the CC, and then me and the HonoRocs put on a big demo at the park for the Parts guy, the mayor,CC, the very last flight was a Estes Maxi-burte V2 with an FSI F100 engine for power. We got to fly our mod rockets there again after that. The Honorocs put on 1 meet a year, and I hosted another two myself and did all my normal flying there.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Sounds like an event none of those young people will ever forget.
Very cool. Now I'm starting to think I might just have to do something like it...
Cheers!
~ Duane Phillips.

Starlord wrote:

Ouch!
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the