Re: Mod Rocs in News

I doubt it.
Jerry, that tag is 100% true, for almost 7 years I've set up on good weekend nights on a corner in Rosamond, and no where else in town or around it has anyone ever set up a scope for Sidewalk Astronomy.
Look at the FAQ that's listed, you'll find at the end of it a photo that was taken by a newspaper reported when the scope I'm by was first put into operation as in First Light that night.
In Rosamond, I AM the Lone Sidewalk Astronomer.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

How many folks _are_ there in Rosamond? Last I saw of the place, it was basically a signpost beside the road to the Willow Springs race track... it might have grown some since then, but I think that's still pretty much an "outback" area...
-dave w
I was shooting quail out there last month. There is a nice little town there. Starlord, you've got a great hamlet there. I envy you.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

I don't know exactly but perhaps 5000+. It is basicly a remote suburb of Lancaster.
It has a lot of aerospace focused folks. Perhaps the other astronomers are back yard style?
Jerry

It has franchise restaurants and store snow. It is now a real town.

Try 30,000 in the area covered by the RSCD area and that only goes to 60th St west, they are looking at expanding that out to 100th ST West in the next few years and we are NOT part of Lancaster down in L.A. county. We are in Kern County which is much better.
We've got McD's, JiBox, we have a super market which Ca City doesn't even have one of. It's been one of the better places I've ever lived, and I can freely fly my rockets too.

That's saying a lot considering you came from HAWAII.
I lived there while taking care of my wheelchair bound mother, and on Oahu you can only lauch mod rocks at the park at the base of Dimondhead and then only very early in the AM before the other sports take over the park and even then you have a good chance of losing any good flying rocket to the ocean. Back in the 70's when I first lived there the park was more open to us, but now rocketeers can only launch early in the am on weekends. During the week they can get a flight or two off, but nothing big.

We'veot close to or just over 30,000 people living in and around the Rosamond area with new homes going in and selling for over $200,000
Many folks work over on Edwards and nightly there's a good line of people driving out from there to the I14 freeway.