Re: OT-Math Problem...Paging Duane Wilkey

Ordinarily, I wouldn't post a math problem to RMR, but I'm hoping that

>Duane Wilkey is scanning this. I just got a new computer and don't have >his e-mail address. So, if anyone can e-mail me Duane's e-mail >address...or solve the problem, I'd be greatful. > >here goes: >Sqrt(X2 + X +1) - sqrt(X2-X) Limit as X goes to infinity >

Do you mean sqrt(x^2 + x + 1) - sqrt(x^2 - x) ? If so, I think it's 1.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Couldn't show you the proof, but trying it with x=10^6 on my lil' ol' HP results is 1, just as Darren suggests.

Reply to
bit eimer

MACSYMA is a free download these days...

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

Thank you, Dr. Ritz. I was trying to remember what your doctorate was in when I relayed your solution to my son. Was it math, by chance?

Mark Simpson

Mark Simpson wrote: > John Ritz wrote >> If you mean Sqrt(X^2+X+1)-Sqrt(X^2-X), yes then it goes to one : >>

John has a clever solution, and it looks right. But it doesn't demonstrate L'Hospital's Rule, which is

f(x) f'(x) lim ---- = lim ----- g(x) g'(x)

if both lim f(x) and lim g(x) are 0 or infinity.

Mark, your son was on the right track:

So make f(x) = (2x+1) and g(x) = (sqrt(x^2 + x + 1) + sqrt(x^2 - x)); then f'(x) is 2, and g'(x) is:

(2x + 1)/2*sqrt(x^2 + x + 1) + (2x - 1)/2*sqrt(x^2 - x)

As x -> infinity, g'(x) is approximately

(2x)/2*sqrt(x^2) + (2x)/2*sqrt(x^2) = 2

(see John's email for why) and lim f'(x)/g'(x) is 1.

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

Mark,

There's a problem here; can you provide the entire original equations?

L'Hospital's Rule is normally used to find a limit when a quotient of functions assumes an indeterminate form, such as 0/0, as a variable is allowed to go to a limit, like infinity in this case.

Are these terms the result of a differentiation using L'Hospital's Rule, or are you just trying to find the limit of this expression?

Reply to
Gary