Re: Smoking CyA?

Irritant? Yes.

Do serious harm? No.

Toxic? No?

Bob Kaplow

My body reacts very vigorously to H2O when I aspirate it.;-)

Mark Simpson

I've had it burn my sinuses enough to cause a nosebleed. I'd call that harm.

Reply to
RayDunakin

OK, just one more. I was fishing with my 3 brother-in-laws off the Clearwater Causeway. One of themreeled in a channel catfish and while flopping around,it jumped up, inverted and imbedded its barb in the top of my bare foot. Seeing the fish close to me, my brother-in-law kicked it away, breaking about an inch and a half of its barb in the top of my foot. I gave a pair of pliers to one of them and told them to pull it out. After a few hard yanks, he gave up and wanted to take me to the hospital. I picked up the pliers, grabbed the end of the barb and pulled as hard as I could. My youngest (about 18 at the time) B-in-L turned white and almost fainted, but I got it out. We continued fishing until the sun came up. It took 6 months to heal completely.

Mark Simpson

"Norman Dziedzic Jr" wrote in news:N5acb.3838$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Water is a catalyst that hastens the polymerization reaction that causes CA to cure. The reaction is exothermic, and some of the water is vaporized, which is what you see. You can create a really good demonstration of the effect by using CA glue to close a bloody cut on your finger!

Using CA kicker can also cause this effect. Since water is also a reasonable kicker, I usually just breath on glued joints to get them to set up a little faster.

Reply to
David W.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote in news:20030924154619.01788.00000062 @mb-m23.aol.com:

The fumes can make your eyes really sting, but it doesn't cause any damage. I've seen a couple cases of people getting CA in their eyes. The basic strategy is to wait until the glue eventually loosens up from the skin (due to skin oil, sweating and shedding skin cells), but the eye is rarely damaged.

Reply to
David W.

Ohe and by the way I aspirate CA all the time no side effects. its when the fumes get into my eyes that the problems start.

When I put water > >

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

ohhh yah that hurts.

Gluing something to a tube.

Find out VERY quickly just how much dripped onto my hand when I start Spray the kicker and it burns the PI$$ out of me. !!! DAMN that stuff can get hot !!

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

BB

I needed to do a field repair on a cold winter day so I was using CA for the repair. It was taking forever to cure so Jim Rosson sprayed it with Binaca; it worked like a charm....and smelled better to boot. :-)

Mark Simpson

Okay, jumping over to the stupidity department... Two words: flycutter...ouch!

sliced fingernail, chipped bone, lucky to still have a fingertip... :-/

Reply to
Chuck Pierce

They oughtn't call 'em flycutters, they really should be called "flesh rippers".

Ouch ain't the word, hope you get better soon!

Reply to
BB

Shoulda taken a picture of *my* finger after using it to stop a spinning snowblower impeller...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Ya know I was just going to ask if someone wasn't going to post a page of CA accidents.

Yuck, yick, arug.

Joel. phx

Dern things are invisible when flying,...

Joel Corwith

Actually, CA would have been a perfect way to repair the damage from the fly cutter...

Bob Kaplow

I had just sanded the edge and blown on it to clear away the balsa dust so there was probably a bit of moisture on the part.

Thanks all for the explanations.

Reply to
Norm Dziedzic

Maybe we should search for "cyanoacrylate WMD"?

Reply to
Alan Jones

Take that flycutter off, buy a can of florescent safety orange, and paint the cutter and about 1" of the other end of the holder. Then you'll see an orange circle as it spins round n round. That doesn't ensure you won't stick your hand in it :(

Joel. phx

Now if you had an OSHA approved chuck guard,....

Joel Corwith

Consider this tip stolen for the next Astron Workshop...

Bob Kaplow

I'll see your "ouch", and raise you one "holy !#$!&#$ shit!":

BB