Smoke tracking charge

I'm working on my L2 rockets, once again to be lofted on a hybrid motor (either a 38mm Contrail J555 or one of the 54mm Contrail motors due to be
released). My question is about tracking charges.
Obviously, hybrids have no delay or smoke tracking elements. Is it acceptable practice to include an independent tracking charge, airstarted by the flight computer? I've googled the question, and found very little info relating to commercial HPR. Most references are to motor-based delay/tracking charges.
I assume this is covered in the NFPA regs... unfortunately I don't have access to a copy.
Thanks!
Kevin OClassen NAR 13578 TRA 10569

I've used the rodent smoke bombs on a few of my rockets over the years. They actually burn long enough that they can be ignited at ignition instead of messing with air starts. I just fix the fuse into the exhaust path of the main motor.
kevin: http://www.quickburst.net/igniters.htm
scroll down and see smoke cannisters
shockie B)