Superglue accelerator

I will be using some CA (superglue) and the store bought accelerator. Is there a "homebrew" for this expensive liquid. That is, what can I substitute for CA accelerator?

Thanks The Rocketeer.

Reply to
paul

I found this:

Halam Rose

From

:

crast test dummie

02-13-2006, 07:56 PM make a solution of water and baking soda for a pretty good accelerator. but it does not evaporate as quickly. any leftover water may accelerate when you dont want it too. mix up a tblespoon in a cup of hot water and put it in a mister bottle . works like a charm in a pinc, and its foam safe. but still not as quick as store bought.

PAUL Thanks for the 411, I'll have to try it when I run out of the store bought stuff.

CTD

jamessimon

02-24-2006, 08:00 PM CA is inhibited from setting by being slightly acid. Anything that reduces that acidity a bit will cause the CA to set up. Water reduces the acidity by dilution. The CA usually sets by interacting with the materials it is bonding. The material or its residual moisture reduces the acidity of the CA and it sets. This is why CA won't set on foam by itself, nothing to reduce its acidity. Baking soda, either as a dusting of powder or as a solution, will reduced the acidity and the CA sets up. Commercial excelerators are something more complex to be persistant but they do the same thing. I use baking soda solution myself.
Reply to
Halam Rose

While it has great potential for abuse, DiHydrous MonoOxide will hasten the curing process of CA adhesives.

Bob Kaplow

This has been bugging me for quite some time. I was taught (right or wrong) that when describing a chemical compound, you gave it in how it would be desolved. Since H2O would break down into H and OH, wouldn't it be hydrogenhydroxide?

I could be totally wrong and more than likely I am.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

There is certainly potential for abuse there. I was accidentally overexposed to it once, and felt totally bloated. After a period of time and many trips to the bathroom, I finally got it under control.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

WARNING! Over exposure to DHMO can be dangerous! Especially in it's solid & gaseous forms.

I have heard that Walmart sells tons of the stuff worldwide!

DSC

Reply to
stealthboogie

Aaron, I believe you are correct: Apparently, according to chemical naming conventions water is either: dihydrogen oxide, hydrogen hydroxide, hydroxic acid, diprotium oxide, or oxane. CAS No.: 7732-18-5

CRC handbook of physics and chemistry simply lists it as hydrogen oxide, so I personally go with water or hydrogen oxide, but soda pop is also good-on a hot day.

Reply to
lizardqueen

Wal-Mart uses DHMO to clean its floors. Worse, employees aren't even given protective gloves, respirators or eye protection to wear while using DHMO. Employees are taught to use DMHO for everyday "cleanup" operations to neutralize spills, sometimes in immediate proximity to customers! ..and then to simply dump the stuff RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN!

I wish I was making this up....

Reply to
Malcontent

My mom had a device that would store DHMO in a tank, and then there was this 'lever' system that she would use to allow the DHMO to clean out human waste she had dumped into a bowl-like structure.

One day, while she was at work, this lever system broke down, and her entire house began filling with DHMO. By the time she got home her entire house was ruined!!! It's months later and they're still trying to repair all the damage!!!

So BEWARE, all of you who might consider using this dangerous substance!!!

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Think the BATFE might have used some of this stuff? It might explain their 'tude :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
tdstr

Beer will do that to you.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Which stuff, DHMO or human waste?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

why does a person need to accelerate instant glue?..it it not fast enough? or are people actually in that much of a rush?

the stuff cures from moisture in the surrounding air..

Reply to
spiff