Turning Speeds Balsa & Styrafoam

What's the usual speed range for turning both balsa & styrafoam (pink, blue, if that matters) on a lathe? Thanks. -- Richard "a sprinkling of snow today" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

Also, if rank beginners are being taught, should different speeds be used? -- Richard "nice blocks of balsa from National Balsa in Mass." Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

Balsa: depends on the diameter. When turning small stuff (1" dia) on my Unimat I use the highest speed, 4000 rpm.

I've never turned foam. I'd tend to use BBQ mode (i.e very low RPM) and use either a rotary tool, power sander, or hot wire to do the cutting.

Bob Kaplow

I turn balsa against a dead center, so use a speed slow enough that it does not burn, and fast enough that it does not squeal. Surface speed (e.g. diamerter) is also a factor. There is no perfect speed for everone. Just do a little experimentation.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I've very successfully turned foam on a drill, but not with a cutter.

very high speed and either with sandpaper or a rasp.

Reply to
tater schuld

Alan's assessment is right on the money. Once you've fooled around with it a while, you will be able to see what works best. It's one of those things that's more an art than a science.

Reply to
Tim