Ambroid Proweld Vapor Question

I have purchased my very first bottle of Ambroid Proweld. If you have experience using this product, could you please describe the associated odor.

I have thoughts of noxious MEK fumes throughout the house, and my wife just wouldn't like that. OTOH, if the fumes are nil and can be negated by merely opening the window, I'll be a very happy man indeed.

In other words, I'd like to know before I open it.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dingo

Hmmmnnn...sniffing glue by proxy...that's got to be a first...

Reply to
Rufus

I have never expirenced an excessive odor as I use it frequently. I build near the family and noone has ever complained of the smell.

Mark M

Reply to
Mark M

Ever been stuck on an airplane next to a woman who thinks that an excessive amount of perfume will make up for a lack of a bath? At least at home you can open a window or open it outside.

Reply to
Willshak

Depends on sensitivity to chemicals. The active chemical that melts plastic in Ambroid Pro-Weld and in Tenax7R (we guess, since Tenax doesn't list its ingredients) is methylene chloride. For its MSDS, look here:

This is an *ingredient* of Ambroid Pro-Weld, not its sole make-up. I would suggest, as a layman, that Pro-Weld is not nearly as toxic as the MSDS portrays methylene chloride in its most potent form.

I've used Ambroid Pro-Weld for years and have had no problems with inhalation or toxicity. As always though, it's a matter of having adequate ventilation etc etc etc.

Regarding your post, Ambroid Pro-Weld is not M-E-K (methyl ethyl ketone) and opening a window will take care of any and all problems. Actually I don't even bother with a window unless I spill some of the stuff.

Further note about spilling Pro-Weld, a friend of mine uses the simple solution of putting his jar in one place, and attaching it to his work bench with double stick tape. It takes more effort to knock the jar over.

---Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

I bought a piece of very dense foam (commonly used as packing material for fragile items). I cut a "donut" with the inside diameter the size of the bottle and the outside diameter about 3 inches and the thickness about 1 inch. No more spill worries and if there is a small drip, the foam sucks it up. I have cut similar donuts for my paint bottles and kicker bottles.

I consider the fumes / smell a fringe benefit (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Put the top back on the bottle when you are not actually using it. Prevents evaporation which is what puts any odor in the air. Pete

Reply to
thelaws

At the bottle top it can be downright disgusting but since no one is working that close to the open top it shouldn't be a problem. I've worked with it for years and never notice it at arm's length. Testors, OTOH, has never failed to make me sick to my stomach. I sure do miss the old Pactra liquid glue but we've seen the last of that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

=== Ding, As with all solvents and strong odors (fried fish), open a few windows/doors and create a cross ventilation effect in the house, if in a small room, turn on a fan and circulate the air. I have used both the Ambroid and Tenax glues and have not noticed any side effects. On the other hand, by wiener dog does tend to want to walk on his front paws after the smell has lingered in the room a few hours.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Reply to
Bruce Apple

I just wipe the threads off with a bit of paper towel before I recap anything with a screw top. I also wipe off the nozzles of rattle cans before I put them away after use.

Reply to
Rufus