ARM: cyber-hobby.com 1/35 Scale 7.5 cm Stu.Kan. auf Pzkw. 38(t)

Kit Review: cyber-hobby.com (Dragon Models Limited) 1/35 scale Kit No.
14 (6396); 7.5 cm Stu.Kan. auf Pz.Kpfw. 38(t); 589 parts (288 parts in
grey styrene, 240 "Magic Track" links, 47 etched brass, 14 clear
styrene); estimated price US$41-45
Advantatges: nice new Pzkw. 38(t) parts, use of new "smart kit" molds
Disadvantages: very obscure "one-off" prototype
Rating: Highly Recommended
Recommendation: for German SP gun fans and Praga family fans
I have to admit it that this particular kit stumped me as I could not
find out anything on it from my normal references. Happily, since AMPS
2007 was going on I ran into Tom Jentz and asked him.
Tom indicated that as I suspected this was a "oner" and a single
prototype was built in May 1942 to test variants of mounting 75mm and
76mm guns on the Praga Pzkw. 38(t) chassis. It lost out to the more
popular and better designed Marder III with the 7.5 cm Pak 40
mounting, but apparently like all good German prototypes it saw
service in Russia. Only three photos of this vehicle and no plans are
known to exist. (It is one of Tom's "Panzer Tracts" books - one of the
Volume 7 issues on Pzkw. 38(t)s.)
Following other "niche" or "boutique" kits, cyber-hobby.com has now
released this effort using bits of two of the new smart kits - the
Marder III Ausf. H and the StuG III Ausf. G Early. They use the main
sprues from the Pzkw. 38(t) components in the Marder III, two sprues
from the StuG III, and a new sprue of adapter components and the semi-
enclosed casemate from the Stu.Kan. prototype.
Since so little information is really known about this vehicle, most
of its internals would appear to be mostly reasonable speculation or
extrapolation. However, as the "bits" chosen are new and well done,
the results are probably not far off the mark if at all not totally
accurate.
A new sprue of clear parts and a small sheet of etched brass, the
latter being generically listed as "Pzkw. 38(t)" are also provided.
Note that this kit comes with five different radio sets, so it nothing
else it will certainly plus up parts boxes.
The kit uses the "Magic Track" from the first two Pzkw. 38(t) based
kits, which is universal and therefore does not require special care
to get the "left" and "right" sets in place.
There is apparently an error in the directions (not surprising) and
as such a small 2 x 4 inch sheet with amplified instructions for the
location of the radio set and a four-round ammo storage rack are
provided separately.
One small sheet of very generic Cartograf decals is provided along
with a color scheme for the "most popular" German unit - Unidentifed
on the Eastern Front, 1945.
Overall the model is well done, but I am not sure of its actual
appeal.
Thanks to Freddie Leung for the review sample.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne