ARM: Hudson & Allen 1/35 scale boxes and rations

Accessory Review: Hudson & Allen 1/35 scale printed accessory sets: No. 1110; C-Rations Set 1 ? U.S. Army World War II; 12 cases with sleeve s; price from the manufacturer US$5.50 No. 1112; Quartermaster Boxes Set 1 - U.S. Army World War II; 15 boxes; pr ice from the manufacturer US$5.50 No. 1113; Quartermaster Boxes Set 2 - U.S. Army World War II; 14 boxes; pr ice from the manufacturer US$5.50 No. 1114; K-Rations - U.S. Army World War II; 12 cases with sleeves; price from the manufacturer US$5.50 Available from select dealers or from the manufacturers at

sonandallen.com/ Advantages: neatly printed and easy to assemble boxes which can be used for dioramas or cargo and include all components associated with basic packing materials

Disadvantages: all subjects require careful cutting out with a very sharp a nd fresh knife blade

Rating: Highly Recommended

Recommendation: for all WWII, Korea and (unfortunately) early Cold War mode lers

I recently noted a number of comments on one of the websites about a lack of boxes and cargo for military trucks and vehicles, and suddenly remembere d when I bought a set of H&A modern C-ration boxes about 15 years ago which went onto a Vietnam era M551Sheridan I built. But someone told me that H&A went out of business and were not producing them any more.

Wrong! I found out today they are alive and well and still producing mod eling accessories and details. I picked up these four sets today at IPMS Ba ltimore?s ?Maraudercon? and then checked with their website.

These four sets cover some of the more common items modelers will like to use.

Set 1110 covers WWII C-rations (10-in-1 rations) and come with six boxes a nd six sleeves ? the boxes were never held together with glue or staples and relied on the sleeve and strapping tape to hold them together. The shee ts come in a light brown card which matches well with undyed cardboard and each part must be cut out and glued together. While a simple blade can be u sed for folding a device like a ?Hold ?n? Fold? will also help gett ing sharp bents.

Set 1112 provides a selection of common supply items shipped in boxes. Wit h a jewelers? loupe (!) these include M1943 field jackets, canteen covers , wax candles, oil filters with gaskets, raincoats, field dressings with pa ckets, and winter socks. Each is more or less readable (it is tiny type!) a nd the proper size and shape for each shipping lot.

Set 1113 offers more of the same, but this time the boxes cover spam (!), powdered eggs, gas masks, SCR-508 radio tube sets, SCR-508 radio receivers, sterile gauze rolls, and ?jeep? caps.

Set 1114 provides two different production lots of K-rations, which basica lly differ in the printing on the box One has large print and a 1943 produc tion date and the other small print and an 1944 tag.

Overall these are brilliant and while requiring care to assemble are an ea sy addition to any US vehicle or great cargo for a 3/4 or 2 ½ ton truck.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne