Bargains(?) at Woolies.

A couple of local branches of Woolies have the Airfix D-day Allied Air set on sale. The box contains a Typhoon, Beaufighter, Mosquito and P51D. The tag claims a thirty quid price halved to fifteen quid, but they can now be had for a tenner.

Not in Woolies, but seen in a model shop, is the German armour set, containing the Airfix Tiger, StuG 3, and (wait for it) Panther kits. Interesting, given the suggestion made on this group recently that the Panther moulds were no longer usable.

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Not only have I seen the aircraft set in woolies for £10, but also the German and Allied armour sets (each at £7.50).

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Forgot to add - the aircraft set contains 9 tins of genuine humbrol paint (full tins not those little plastic cups of acyrlic). The 9 tins of paint alone are worth the price tag.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

I've still got the pieces from the one I built as a youth. Funny they haven't re-released it till now. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

This may sound like a dumb question, but is Woolies a reference to Woolworths?

Woolworth Five and Dime stores all closed in the US in the early

1990's as I recall. I loved them for their 1/2 price sales on model kits as a kid growing up in the 1970s. Their lunch counter cheeseburgers were pretty good too ;^)

Martin

Reply to
Martin

In article , Martin writes

It is indeed. My mother started there as a sales assistant when it first opened (1920s?); Mum passed away a few months ago, but Woolies are still going, and still in the same building. They've just closed for a couple of weeks for another rebuilding. I can remember as a kid they still had counters in "islands", each with its own sales assistant. They always seemed to have the Airfix releases first, (there were at least three other stockists in town back then) and there was a big board at the back of the shop with built-up and painted examples attached. I scored a couple of models cheap when they abandoned it. They only have the occasional kit nowadays, almost invariably as a "special offer", but usually they're not that special.

I can't recall cooked food ever featuring in ours, and as an ever-hungry school kid I'm sure I would... :)

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

Yes, I can thank Woolies for introducing me to Airfix's extensive line. Their model department was great back in the day. As I remember, Woolworth was responsible for the world's first skyscraper in New York. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Yes, Woolworth's had not one but two lunch counters in the store downtown. It was a double-deck affair. I know I ate something there once when Mom took me downtown shopping. We just couldn't miss the Woolworth's! In the center of the store was the toy section and we just had to check out the latest playset figures available. A dime usually got me a new Marx cowboy, horse or steer or even a metal soldier. The store we visited was the second one at that location. The first was an elegant Victorian creation with a rooftop restaurant. That one was torn down before I popped into the scene. The one I remember was torn down shortly after Woolworth's went out of business. The bank grabbed the land and every parcel between, knocked half the block down and put up some ugly office building in the space. There's really not much left of the downtown where all my memories reside. One whole block of Victorian buildings were trashed in the '60s in the name of urban renewal. After years of a big hole in the ground several offices and stores were thrown up on that block (pun intended). They are talking about taking down much of that stuff and trying to make the area attractive again. Oh yeah, BTW, Frank Woolworth's first store was in Lancaster.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

What city? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Lancaster, Pa.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I think that Wookies over here in the UK became a seperate company many years ago and I can never remember any of them here having a food counter. They were the prime site for Airfix as they seemed to have a special deal but I had a great model shop around the corner (I am talking 50's and 60's) in the shape of Bec Models in Tooting and thus never needed them. They are a different proposition now but they do seem to keep going. David Pennington snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com

Reply to
David Pennington

Well, I must apologise - I picked up all the Woolies D-Day bits (3xGerman Aromour, 3x Allied, 4xAircraft) a month or so ago, and never told you all. For shame :-(

I also got the 100 years of flight box recently Camel, 50th Spit, Meteor, Lightning, Harrier, F-16,F-117A for £20, rrp £40.

Add in (not from Woolies) a BBMF Millenium collection (5xSpit,

2xHurricane, 1xDak, 1xLanc, 2xChipmunk, PR MK19 modellers guide, BBMF yearbook, and signed print) for £25 , and the big Heller D-Day box, and I've got enough cheap kits to keep me kitbashing for yonks (let's not start that one again :-) ).

I also got 5x Wallace and Gromit aircraft for £2.99 each for when I feel like a change :-)

Damian

Reply to
Damian

go a w&g motorcycle to sell?

Just the flying sidecar aeroplane, no motorbikes, unfortunately. still looking...if I find any, I'll let you know.

damian

Reply to
Damian

And for me. I can't find a motorcycle anywhere :-( David Pennington snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com

Reply to
David Pennington

i especially want the motorbike because it's a thumper, and i collect those. the w&g bike is kind of a composite, but it sure is a brit. beautifull.

gentlemen, we have a quest. whoever finds, finds three if possible. deal?

Deal. shake, shake .

Damian

Reply to
Damian

errm chaps, I've located two already. mail me offline - damian dot gallagher at tinyworld dot co dot uk

Reply to
Damian

Fine by me!