Bismarck in 1/144th scale! A RMS confluence...

Okay the combination of my having recently seen "Sinking of the Bismarck", learning about an upcoming 1/144th scale kit, and then then threads here about kit prices, Swordfish, Civilian workers onboard, old war movies and 1/44th scale tanks prompts me to post about this 6 foot marvel.

One wag posted that he would require some 1/44th scale Swordfish aircraft so he could "play in the bath tub." :-)

There appear to have been several other 6 foot long Bismarcks that were not true kits and of lower quality.
It's got a price of around a thousand dollars. I wonder if I'll get around to one of those ~$1000 Tamiya 1/6th tanks before they are gone?

I think I'll just have to settle for one of those 1/24th Airfix Mosquitos.

Reply to
jj

Sorry I meant to type 1/16th and I was all excited by finding this webpage with 1/6th and 1/10th scale metal armor models and a bunch of

1/144 ships.

Anyone have any experience with these folks? Seems legit. Also, they use the comma as is the EU style instead of the period so don't be totally alarmed by the prices. :-)

I'm somewhat reluctant to type this but if there are battleship modeler/RCers who have battles with air powered cannons, are the people who use these metal armor models for similar battles? How about larger scale RC aircraft with real dogfights?

Reply to
jj

Are they really making 1/6 Tammys for a $1000? There was a time 8-10 years ago in the GIjOE -Dragon action figure collecting community that a cheap blow molded or home brewed 1/6th Panther or Sherman toy couldn't be had easily for less than $2000. A 1/6th Tammy in that scale would be worth it to a guy who had $1000 to spend on that.

I was that guy once upon a time.

I never pulled the trigger with the home brew guys because the quality just wasn't there for the price. My patience was rewarded soon enough when the big boys in Hong Kong stepped into the fray. Dragon released a Kubelwagen that is to die for. I haven't seen one yet, but I hear they've realeased a Willys Jeep too. Before they filled shelves with 1/18 scale pre-bult planes and armor, 21st Century Toys did GIjOE scale. Not a true 1/6th, closer to

1/8th, but their Bradley AFV is an eye popper. I've got one out in the garage. Paid around $350 back in the day after a lot of deliberation and soul searching. Glad I did. Brings a smile to my face every time I see it - which unfortunately due to the storage issues around here, is not often.

On the up side of it, it's keeping the Dragon Kubelwagen company

WmB

Reply to
WmB

says image or video has been removed.

Reply to
someone

Ah, that's an old dream/fantasy of mine since I was a kid. Big scale R/C duking it out with real, fully functional scale weapons. Most of what I used to imagine as a kid is possible now in the realm of R/C. A good deal of it, like mini cams, jet engines and scale radials are longer dreams.

Can a real working scale Ma Deuce shooting paint ball type ammo be that far of a stretch?

WmB

Reply to
WmB