Chrome trim on 1/25 model cars.

What do people use to paint the chrome trim on 1/25 model autos? The thin trim strips that run along the belt line, etc. These particular chrome trims are about 1.4 mm wide. I have never had much luck painting them on. Are there decals, or thin chrome strips, or some other secrets to make them less sloppy looking?

Reply to
willshak

Bare Metal foil, a thin metal foil with an adhesive backing that is placed over the strip location, trimmed to size and buffed down. Looks quite good, and is much easier and *much* cleaner than painting. It will take a bit of practice to get good at application but it pays off in the end with much better looking models.

Reply to
Larry Farrell

Maybe it's me but I never had a lot of luck with Bare Metal Foil, especially in corners.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Make sure it's a fresh sheet. Aged ones wrinkle like crazy.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I always put in a brand new #11 blade before trimming bare metal foil, and discard it after I am done. One needs a sharp knife, but the foil dulls it quickly. Sometimes I use separate pieces to get around a corner. I burnish it down with the end of a round toothpick.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

comes in 1/8" and 1/4" widths.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 5/1/2008 6:23 PM Pat Flannery said the following:

On a 1/25 1940s model car, you need trim no wider than about 1/32 inch. You'll remember, the real trim was about 3/4 inch wide. Besides, that is tape, and I would suspect that it is thicker than the foil, thereby showing the edges.

Reply to
willshak

The problem is that the adhesive ages and weakens. Sometimes it begins to pull away from the backing paper and results in wrinkles. At other times, if it has not been disturbed much, you will not see wrinkles, but it does not adhere to model as well. It can be used for small areas if it is old, but it is best to go with fresh stuff for a major project with lots of chrome area.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

that's why i suggested an art supply store. the variety of trim tape is amazing and you can get very thin as well as very small across diameter. trust me....

Reply to
someone

The problem I have with the narrow trim tapes, especially the brand sold by Model Expo, as that the adhesive dries out quite fast, and they then do not adhere very well, especially when on curved surfaces. I have found, however, that a coat of Future (now new brand name, forget what it is) seems to help a lot, though.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

i've used very thinned down rubber cement. use a piece of sponge and drag the strip along it. lasts a long time, especially with your coat of future.

Reply to
someone