DML King Tiger Final version

Hi,

In the DML 2004 catalogue they have listed the King Tiger Final Version, item 6209.

The Picture however does not show a final Tiger-B at all.

It lacks the re-inforcing bars on the front fenders, it's got the MG-mount and rail on the cupola, trackhangers are absent from the turret but there should be 6 pairs of them, I can't identify the tracks, but the sprocket looks like a 9 teeth one instead of the later new 18 teeth version.

On the whole, the picture is too dark to see details.

Anyone know anything more about this Final King Tiger model?

Reply to
Herbert Ackermans

Because of the necessary lead time to get ads out, promotional photos often depict prototype build ups, and key details are often missing or wrong. When Dragon's T-34-85 model 44 kit was announced, the kit was denounced because the photos showed a rear panel without any transmission cover bolts. Of course, the bolts were all present when the kit actually appeared. I wouldn't worry yet. GPO

Reply to
Lafimprov

There was an instance where one model company announced a Kodak stock car and the photo they used could clearly be discerned to be the competitor's Kodak car from the previous year! hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

"Lafimprov" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m11.aol.com...

The DML catalogue has a wartime picture of the King Tiger, not a model.

If they want to show a picture of a wartime final version King Tiger, it should have the features I listed.

Reply to
Herbert Ackermans

Can fix that pretty quick with photoshop!

Add a feature here, a rivet there,...........

;
Reply to
Bushy

I doubt you'll find one. The turrets with the three sets of track hangers fore and aft and revised AA machine gun mount were in the warehouse at the assembly plant, but don't appear to have gotten onto any delivered chassis. The last units to draw new vehicles in March, 1945, the 507th and the 510th, had some with the reinforced fenders and at least one tank with the new single-link tracks, but none of the published photos I've seen show the final turret installed. Of course "final" could mean different things to different people. Some might regard the planned version with new turret featuring an internal stereoscopic range finder and revised engine grates to be the "final" Tiger B design. We'll just have to see what Dragon has in mind. GPO

Reply to
Lafimprov

"Lafimprov" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m21.aol.com...

Well, at least some of the features introduced in the March '45 modifications DID make it into the field, and there ARE picture showing some and more of those features. The picture in the DML catalogue shows none.

Anyway, the fact the front fenders are moulded loose instead of fixed as on the JagdTiger may indicate that the Final version will have the reinforced bars. Further, most of the differences are superficial, being mostly deleted items like jack and jackblock, track-mounting cable, AA-ring, MP-44 instead of MG in the ball mount.

I do not think the June '45 version of the King Tiger will be seen as the final version by DML.

But I do hope the 18 teeth sprocket will be with the sharp teeth and not a re-issue of the early 18 teeth as it was in the JagdTiger with Porsche suspension model.

Ah, the joy of all those King Tigers. You thought Shermans had many variants....

Reply to
Herbert Ackermans