He-111 Lost?

Was just waking up this morning when the clock radio came on and I caught the tail end of a news article about the loss of a vintage aircraft in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Something about it being the last flying example left in the world?

We were scheduled to have a visit from the Commemorative AF He-111 this weekend. (Big Airshow in Missoula, MT - Thunderbirds, C-17, B-52, etc. etc.) So I have a strange feeling that the 111 might have been the bird that went down as they mentioned a crew of "2" and most of the other warbirds planning to attend were single seaters......I.E., P-63, P-51 and FM-2.

As much as I love to see these old birds fly, it's tragic whenever one of them is destroyed.

Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net

Reply to
Unamodeler

Here's More:

Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net

Reply to
Unamodeler

and

Stephen Tontoni

Well, technically nitpicking, it's not an He-111.

Reply to
Frank May

by that i assume you mean it is actually a Spanish build CASA 2.111 which where basically built to He111 specs under license but generally powered by Rolls Royce Merlines rather than BMW's

I'd say close enough, when there are no others.... ~voigt

Reply to
Voigt Lander

Make that Daimler-Benz or Jumo depending on model

Reply to
Voigt Lander

Yep, that's what I meant. And I'm not sure that it's WWII eiher. Did CASA build any 2.111s during WWII? The CAFs "Me-109(s)" aren't -109s either, (postwar Hispano HA1112s). Their Ju-52 isn't either, IIRC. It's from Spain too. They are closer to He-111s & Me-109s than the Tora a/c are to real Zeroes, Vals & Kates. Their B-24 isn't a B-24 either & never was. There are several real He-111s from WWII in museums IIRC. There are lots of civil a/c painted like their military counterparts, too, but they aren't & never were those military a/c types. Pretending is cool anyway.

Reply to
Frank May

I was in this bird once while it was in the CAF hangar in Mesa, AZ.

One item of historical significance, IIRC, was that prior to it's acquisition by the CAF this particular plane was Franco's personal transport.

Reply to
Rick DeNatale