I really hate individual track links.

After many years,making various types of models, esp armour.I have come to the conclusion that I like those plastic tracks,a few cuts and some serious painting,they look great.The hours that are spent with the individual track links,just fitting them and then painting them insitu, could be better spent actually modelling not doing fitting.

Reply to
Arcusinoz

After 3 models of experience my opinion is opposite :) I was unable to do anything with the vinyl tracks - the first model stands without the tracks. I almost torn the wheels off when trying to put on the vinyl track (it was too short - Academy 1/72 Tiger) Individual tracks links worked great for me - I painted them once before cutting them off. And after cutting off painted again. Revell Pz IV H fitting them was poetry. But Revell Stug IV fitting them was nightmare ( Stug IV is one of the oldest Revell model - watch out and BTW

great site to get info about such models)

To sum up I would recommend nicely done individual track links (like all revell newer models) to the beginners. The vinyl is definitely for experienced modellers who will be able to make them look good (without tearing the wheels off)

Maciek

Reply to
Maciek

I concur. One of the very few tank models I've built in the last 20 years is the 1/72 ESCI M1 Abrams. I was really interested in the Abrams at one point and really wanted to build a model of one. The ESCI kit had just come out and I had to build it. When I saw these "new fangled" track links I thought "no way am I messing around with something that complex and tedious". But my desire to have a built M1 model on the shelf overcame my reluctance to tackle the separate track links. When I actually started attaching the links to the tank, I found out that they fit quite nicely and it was much simpler to assemble than I originally thought. When I stepped back to look at the final product, I thought they looked pretty darn good! So I'm now OK with the track links. If I can now just overcome the tedious task of painting all those pesky road wheels, I might consider building a few more tanks. ;^)

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

Have it your way, but the individual track links almost ALWAYS have better detail, and look far better than any others.......

BTW, hours spent fitting IS modeling...........

AM

Reply to
AM