Is this kit the original release or a reissue?

Hi All- I've got a Revell Mickey Thompson Challenger I kit, and I can't tell if it's the original or the 1990s reissue. The box says the cat # is
H:1281:198; copyright 1962. The contents are in a sealed plastic bag.
What say you all?
Thank you very much.
Lew.
On Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:36:09 PM UTC-4, hershey wrote:

I wasn't around in '62, but I'm doubting they sealed them in a bag then.

-me too ;(
I'm guessing it's the '90s release. I can remember seeing lots of kits, as a little kid in the mid - late '60s. not only were parts not in plastic bags in the boxes, many boxes weren't sealed, much less even taped closed. I vividly remember looking at the Hawk 1/48 and 1/72 models in a mom and pop store, no plastic bags nor wrap, no tape, just open the boxes and fondle the parts. I can also vivdly recall looking at an Aurora X-18 and a few other Aurora models packaged that way at a United Dollar Store down the street from my granddaady's house. I can still hear him telling me there are 'too many little parts, maybe when you're older'.
On Sunday, July 8, 2012 2:36:09 PM UTC-5, hershey wrote:

I know this is from a while ago, but just look on the flat piece that makes up the bottom of the car-you will probably see "Revell 1986" molded into t his part, I was led to believe I was buying an original kit until I noticed this. I can't find any other indication that this kit is a reissue anywher e! Parts weren't sealed, so that didn't factor in!
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 03:34:03 -0800, lnap1994 wrote:

Revell is famous for reissuing old kits in new boxes. If you're wondering whether a kit is a new issue or not, try looking it up at Scalemates.com to see whether they've got the history of the kit listed.