paintbrushes cleaning with acetone?

I believe I read sometime ago a tip I think in FSM where for better cleaning after "normal" cleaning he or she placed the brushes for a while in acetone, and that it took away the residue. I clean normally with thinner but there is always some residue. ANy ideas?Thanks Jose

Reply to
boisferas

boisferas wrote in news:d0cc3209-9f9c-427f-96ce- snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

When you clean your brushes with acetone based nail polish remover. your brushes will get squeeky clean and the bristles of your brushes will also benefit from the stuff in the remover that is good for the nails.

Reply to
Bert-Jan

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Hi there.

Try not to get any of the acetone on any exposed flesh. According to the University OF Guelph (Gelph, Ontario< Canada) after acetone has disolved a substance when the acetone comes in contact with skin the acetone and disolved substance is absorbed into the body and can be deposited in the interior organs.

BTW, most nail-polishes are full of very nasty chemicals.

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

"I must say Peter, that in my 36 years as a surgeon, I've never someone's gall bladder that looked like that...what did you call it again? 'Ambush Camouflage'?" :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

when I clean brushes I use three different jars of thinner. I used to use only one and cleaning a brush in blackish thinner did not make sense. cleaning it further with cleaner and cleaner thinner has given me much better brushes with no residue.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Acetone is a really great solvent - but as stated in another article can be asborbed through skin and can do cumulative Kidney damage.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

laquer thinner is really bad, too. both should be treated with good gloves and ventilation. lucky i didn't poison myself as a kid.

Reply to
someone

...but you did - you just don't realize it.... :-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I usually buy thinner in gallon cans. Lasts a year or two. I ran out recently, and ended up at WalMart. They have a new way of raising prices- jugs were 120 ounces rather than 128! Anyway, the cheapest they had was a new type low odor. I think the odor is just different, not really low.

Anyway, the thing was, this stuff was not clear, it was a milky color. I'd be hesitant to use it to thin enamel. However, I tried it for both brush and airbrush cleaning, and hey, it works VERY well. Cleans better than turpentine. This is the stuff in the plastic jug.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

not overtly, anyway

Reply to