Question about ALPS/OKI/Citizen ribbons.

You can just turn the brightness of your monitor up. :-)

But seriously, this is a common problem with all prinvers vs. monitors. I just experiment with various colors and the printer driver brightness and saturation settings.

But most programs allow you to setup color profiiles which will attempt to match the monitor colors to the printed colors. I think those are called ICM profiles. This can get quite complicated. I don't bother as I don't really print many colors with my Alps. I stick mostly with the non-dithered (solid) colors.

Other than that I do lots of test printouts. I rewind used up cartridges and use them for test printouts.

As far as definitions go, wikipedia is your friend.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Yep. Like you, I prefer to experiment and use spot colors as much as possible. Adding Okidata and Kodak cartridges to the mix helps a lot since they have different colors than the standard Alps CMY cartridges.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Can I rif on this wuestion too, andd get a feeling on what program most of us (you) are using for designing your decals? I know to stay away from thee bit mapping forms, but a) forgot the kind we should use, and b) what is the best/ cheapest/ free version that would be reccomended?

I have some coming up that I need to design, and all the preliminary work looses reolution when I shrink it down.

TIA

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I use Corel Draw but be aware that whichever vector art program you decide to use the learning curve can be pretty steep.

Old versions of Corel Draw are readily available on eBay for a pittance and are more than adequate for decal artwork.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Al Superczynski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I agree, Coreldraw is the thing for me.

But mind you, that you have to think totally different than for instance with Paint.

But once you get the hang of it, it can't be beat.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

I will ask one question here. If I get an older version of Corel Draw, can I be sure it will work with the version of windows XP on my computer?? I'm allready in a jam because my database program (Q & A) will not.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

Hi Bill,

I dont think there is a problem with that, but

If you put the icon on your desk top, right-click on the icon and go to "properties", then to the tab compatibility, you can choose if you want to run the older coreldraw version in for instance windows95 mode.

this will do the trick.

Cheer,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

Dennis:

I tried that with my Q & A program and it didn't work.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

Than I shoud have said "That should do the trick"

Unfortunately this is where my knowledge about computers ends, so I cant help you any further.

But I recall my first PC which ran on W95 and I could definately run Coreldraw3 on that.

I could also burn an image CD of my copy of Coreldraw8 and send that to you per snailmail. (which would be safer than via Kazaa and the likes)

Just let me know.

Cheers, Dennis.

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

Dennis:

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I also have a few other "issues" with my computer as it is currently working so I will pass on your offer. I can't seem to get my scanner to run since I updated to Windows XP either. I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend a few $$ and go get someone more knowledgable than my self to look at it.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Corel Draw Software is plentyful on eBay.

I picked up my current Corel Draw 7 on eBay for about $15 US. That is what I currently use on my Win 98 machine. Previously, I was using Corel Draw 3. I've been "playing" with Corel Draw since Version 3 was new (on the early 1990s).

Corel Draw 7 is more than enough for decal design.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

"Peter W." wrote in news:1145504190.553168.205830 @t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I agree,

I got my version 8 free when I bought my computer. I don't think I do use more then 15% of the Coreldraw capabilities for my drawings and artwork for decals and etchwork.

But hey, it was for free.

I had my first try at CD3 and was sold from the start.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace