SHIP: AFV CLub 1/350 scale Japanese I-19 Submarine

Kit Review: AFV Club 1/350 scale Kit No. 73506; Japanese Navy I-19
Submarine; 111 parts (72 in grey styrene, 31 etched brass, 7 clear
styrene, 1 in dull red styrene); estimated price US$30
Advantages: first kit of this vessel in this scale; several options
for construction; complete =93Glen=94 aircraft nicely done
Disadvantages: some etched brass parts very tiny with minuscule
=93footprint=94
Rating: Highly Recommended
Recommendation: For all IJN fans
F I R S T L O O K
Most people and only dedicated historians are aware of the fact that
in September 1942 the only attack by enemy aircraft directly on the
United States mainland took place when a Yokosuka E14Y1 light
floatplane and its crew of two dropped two light incendiary bombs on a
forest in Oregon. Unfortunately the Japanese never realized how wet
this area of the US actually could be, no massive forest fires were
started, and as a result nobody knew about the attack until after the
war. But it was a singular achievement.
The Japanese were the only country to actually ship and use powered
aircraft from submarines during World War II, and the E14Y1 was the
most numerous of those aircraft with over 125 built. Tiny (wingspan of
roughly 10 meters, 9 meters long, and a loaded weight of only 1500
kilograms) but reliable, the E14Y1 was standard equipment for Japanese
Type =93A=94 (I-15 to I-35) and Type =93B=94 (I-9 to I-11) submarines.
The Type B1 submarine (of which the I-19 was arguably the most
successful) was a very large and powerful machine for its time,
carrying 17 torpedoes and a 140mm (5.5") deck gun plus an E14Y1 scout
aircraft. Starting in 1937 20 of these vessels were built. As noted
the greatest success took place on 15 September 1942 when I-19 fired a
spread of six torpedoes which resulted in sinking the carrier USS
Wasp, the destroyer USS O=92Brien, and damaging the battleship USS North
Carolina.
AFV Club has now released a 1/350 scale kit of this submarine class,
and it is quite an impressive kit. Approximately 31.5 cm in length, it
comes with a complete lower hull and also the pressure hull (like the
German Type VII U-boats did). It provides some odd features such as a
moveable rudder if the lower hull is used, but it also comes with a
nicely done E14Y1 =93Glen=94 made from clear styrene and consisting of 16
parts (less if you skip the etched brass details) to include the two
52 kg incendiary bombs!
The hangar appears to offer the option of being opened or closed and
there are even more brass details for deckside. An aircraft handling
crane is included as well as bridge details and railings. A
rangefinder for the deck gun is provided on top of the sail as are all
controls.
The directions are picture-type but descriptions are provided in
Japanese, English and Chinese.
Two decal sheets are provided, one for the I-19 and one for the
E14Y1. Although only in Japanese a small broadside also describes the
work these submarines carried out and shows them with aircraft, radio
antennas and handling cranes erected, and one with =93Kaiten=94 midget
submarines on deck.
Overall this is an impressive little model and if nothing else shows
the huge difference in concepts between the German and Japanese
submarines.
Thanks to Miin Herng Tsueng for the review sample.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne

Site Timeline