Tamiya M4A3 Sherman 105mm

I have just purchased this model and I have a couple of questions, one serious and the other, less so.

Q1 On the upper hull, just behind the driver's hatch is a moulding of some letters - they look like they shouldn't be there. As best as I can describe they are a large letter 'C' in a circle (like a copyright sign), and the sequences 'E8020', 'B2403', 'LO' and the letter 'I'.

They look to clean to be part of the hull, but at the same time I can't imagine why a manufacturer as respected as Tamiya would spoil a kit by putting its labelling in a prominent position on a scale model.

Do I need to remove this (my assumption) or should I leave it because it is genuine.

Q2 The instructions give three paint options. Option B is for the 756th Tank Bttn. operating in Germany in February 1944.

I never knew the US operated Shermans so far behind enemy lines!

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Dave Calhoun

Reply to
Ron Smith

Reply to
Gerald Owens

It was the elite Para-tank unit; dropped silently at night by Westland Lysanders, the tank platoons would meet secretly with the German Resistance and plan surgical strikes on vital communication centres. During the day they were disguised as k=FCbelwagons.

Bruce Probst Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

Bruce Probst offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

Lysanders were only used to air drop the lighter tanks such as Crusaders. They were unable to lift heavier tanks such as Shermans. This lead to the withdrawal of the Lysander in this role by early 1943 and replacement with aircraft which had a great load carrying capability, such as the Farley Fruitbat.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Ah ! the Farley Fruitbat, truly a master of all trades, now that we have our TSR.2's surely it cant be long before our beloved Fruitbat gets the mainstream injection moulded treatment.

P.S. I hear rumours that the RAF still maintains a squadron of Fruitbats at a secret location in deepest Wales, for special Forces use.( Dangnabbit, now that I've told you I'll have to kill you, and your posts are so informative too Enzo, just be careful with your next plate of cheese it could be me in disguise.)

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips

Ant Phillips offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

You do realise that I used to be in the RAF, dontcha? I can tell you that the "deepest Wales" story is pure disinformation. There are about a dozen airworthy Fruitbats still in service, but that is *more* than enough to provide every RAF airfield with a flight of Fruitbats for QRA. The airframes may well be over sixty years old, but their internal ECM fit is cutting edge technology. Having just gone through their forty-second MLU, modern Fruitbats with the ECM operating look just like F-35s. Except they are purple.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I guess they're like Triggers broom in Only Fools, remember how he had the same broom for 20 years but it had 5 new handles and 9 new heads (or something like that)

And BTW Enzo I know you're ex RAF and I have to say that your post some time back on Sidewinder colours and construction is probably one of the most informative posts ever made on this Newsgroup,

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips