TV: Just caught a great pair of programs...

on PBS tonight. Your schedules may differ. "Secrets of the Dead" had a bit on Sakai's dogfight with an F4F. The wreckage of the F4F had been found on Guadalcanal and was investigated to find why the pilot didn't take a shot at Sakai when he had the position and opportunity. Sakai shortly after this fight ran afoul of some TBFs.

"Warplane, Pt.1" followed after and covered WWI & WWII. Next week will continue to the present.

I missed the Nova program on Santos-Dumont last night. I hope to catch it on the weekend.

Suddenly there's something worth watching on the telly!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I really liked the Nova one. While it did have one shot of SBDs bombing Pearl Harbor most of it was quite accurate and good.

The second one, however, really disappointed me. While there was some great footage I had not seen before, most of the technical discussion was oversimplified to the point of being WRONG! Centrifugal force and gyroscopic torque are NOT the same thing! The discussions on airfoils was better, but still oversimplified to the point of being misleading at severa points!

Of the "experts" they featured, one is good technically. Several others are good historians but not engineers and they should be reticent on making comments on history of aviation technology.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Reply to
frank

WNET-13 according to the credits. That, of course doesn't mean they didn't use the same research crews. I agree with Don about the wrong terminology being used there. It din't sound right to me when I heard it. I just got a tad excited that something interesting was really on.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

at least the demonstration go the effects right. it was actually pretty clever.