Tree caught plane...

due to decreasing depth perception, on turn to final, i caught my venture 60 on a tree, and it fell to the ground in a bunch of shrubs..... damage to plane is minor, ego damage, major.....

Something caught the leading edge a couple of inches in from the outboard wing tip and broke the leading edge (the plane turned into the tree and fell to the ground; brush broke the fall).. not too bad to repair..... the fuse, just in front to the hor. stab, twisted enough to wrinkle the covering... nothing appears to be out of whack, but am wondering how to go about being sure.... my first thought is to use the heat gun on the wrinkles and see how it looks afterwards, and cut the covering off between vertical stab and fuse to look for cracks..... other then doing some twisting and running my hand around the back end to feel for cracks, i don't want to remove all the rear covering unless i have to.

Does this seem reasonable if nothing obvious is found? . Arne, CT, USA =========================

Reply to
Arne Reil

if you got trike gear, double check you nose arm. did the same last summer and learned all about nosewheel arms on thunder tiger trainers

Reply to
tater schuld

and the firewall. missed checking that 2 weeks ago. luckily we found it before starting the engine.

Reply to
tater schuld

Oh, and the next time you tell the story, the standard line is that the tree jumped up and grabbed the plane :)

covering...

Reply to
JR

I'm going to check that area today.... the fuse is plywood on 2 sides and bottom... the wrinkles on on the top which is sticks..... should be interesting.... i'll take my time and do it right.....

covering...

Reply to
Arne Reil

A cousin of the ground that jumps up to grab the plane, too.... Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48