Is warped stab affecting my flight?

Good Morning. I have been pondering over a situation involving my Global Right Flyer, which features a covered, flat-rib stabilizer. Last Sunday, under somewhat gusty wind conditions, I had a tough time controlling the plane. I had to constantly give it Up Elevator and occasionally Right Aileron to maintain a steady flight, and I could not properly trim it. I did manage to land the plane close to the runway, but only onto a flat-grass area across the runway from the pilot station area, and the prop broke upon landing. No other damage to the plane was noticed. When I got home, I checked the plane some more, and discovered that the stabilizer was partially warped! The right half of the stab was true and level, as was the center of the stab, but at the left tip, the leading edge was higher than the trailing edge! I had never seen this before, even though I have been flying this plane about two months, so I have no idea how long this condition has been present.

Two questions: 1. Could this warping have affected my flight? 2. How can I correct this warping?

Any answers, particularly to (2), would be appreciated.

Thanks, Harry Sanchez

Reply to
Harry Sanchez

harry:

you mentioned that you were flying in gusty conditions. the right flyer is a flat bottomed airfoiled trainer that will get kicked around in the wind. wait until you have calmer conditions, and then try to trim for straight and level. only then will be able to tell whether the airplane is crooked.

Reply to
PaulBK58

The warp could affect flight. How badly is it warped? However, I'd vote for the "gusty" winds. It's almost impossible to trim a plane for straight and level in those conditions, especially if you're not very experienced. If it's a small, light plane like yours, the problem is magnified. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

If your model is covered in a heat shrink type covering, one method to correct the warp is to flex the surface in the opposite direction of the warp, apply heat with a heat gun to the upper and lower side and let cool. This may take several tries varying the amount you flex the surface to get it right, but this uaually works in all but the most extreme warps.

Wishing you tailwinds all the way, Tom B.

Reply to
Bubb