Tiger 60 Warped TE Balsa

I'm building a Tiger 60 and the supplied wing trailing edge was pretty warped. I should have replaced it, but didn't. I thought that pinning it flat and all the rest of the ribs, sheeting, etc. would pull it back into shape. Well it didn't - I did learn to not try this plan again!

Any ideas to straighten it out or start a new wing? Foam wings available for this kit? The kit is really old, so I can't hold CGM responsible. I already tried wetting and weights and a little heat and that did help some. I haven't covered the wing yet, but didn't think the covering would/could pull out that "dog's hind leg" bobble in the TE.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Sharp

The idea of another poster to cut the trailing edge off is a good one.

There's another solution you may want to try. If the TE is sheeted and you haven't put glued sheeting on yet, pin the TE flat and glue the top piece on. Turn the wing over, pin it flat, and glue the bottom piece on. This will usually take out most of the warp.

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

That's the main feature of this nutty hobby . . . making mistakes and learning.

Cut the T/E off as cleanly as possible, and either cut a new T/E or straighten the cockeyed one.

All it takes is time.

If you spray a solution of 30 to 50 % household ammonia and water on the offending part, the ammonia 'softens' the wood structure to the point that it can be bent. Pin one end, spray, and using a good straightedge, pin along the length of the wood stock at close intervals while keeping the stock in contact with the straightedge.

I use a 48" aluminum contractor's level - works great.

Give the T/E stock a day to 'cure', and it should be if not perfectly straight, more than close enough so that the wing structure can pull it into alignment without itself distorting.

Don't use household cleaner with ammonia, like Windex. You want plain ammonia. Stinks to beat the band, and it's really good for finding nicks and cuts on your fingers.

Consider it an opportunity to buy that shop fan you always wanted.

Learning to do work-arounds in this hobby is a lot like dealing with jezusclips.

jezusclips come in all manner of sizes and shapes. Some are shaped like the letter "E" (e-clips), some are shaped like the letter "C" (c-clips), and some are sorta shaped like a piston ring with a chunk missing (snap rings), and there are 'inside' and 'outside' versions of each.

They're all called jezusclips because that's what you say when you remove one and it goes "PLINK !" about fifteen feet out into the grass somewhere.

What you actually say is "JEZUS, whereinell do I get one of _those_ on Saturday afternoon ?" !!! Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Thanks Batman!

I'm doing that now and it has helped, but there's still a bit of a 'bobble' on the TE. I think I'll press on and if I have trim problems then replace the wing.

Thanks Again! Jim

Reply to
Jim Sharp

hi I have had the same problem. what you could do is cut the t/e off and re-pin the wing to your building board then replace the t/e with new stock this would be quicker than starting a new wing. The repaired wing would no doubt be lighter than a foam replacement

Reply to
biggles

You most likely won't even notice it when you are flying.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb