What Replaced the Skycrane Helicopter?

Saw on the History Channel that its last usage by the military was around 1993. What is the US' heavy lifter these days?

the Skycrane model came with a removable "trailer" for lack of the proper word. Anything like that being done with its replacement?

thx - Craig

Reply to
who me?

CH-47

No.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Depends on the service. The Navy and Marine Corps use the CH-53 Super Sea Stallion and the Air Force has several versions of it.

The Germans use the CH-53 for the same purposes -- I sat out on my balcony when I was living in Eschborn, Germany, outside of Frankfurt and watched one lift and replace the air conditioning condenser units on top of a 20-plus story Deutsches Bank building less than half a mile away. (It's a good deal to be state owned in that case!)

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Are we allowed to ask questions about 'that' helicopter? :Þ

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I heard a loud noise one moring, looked out, and there was a skycrane replacing the HVAC on the school across the park from my house. They had tried the day before with an H 34, but it was unable to handle the load, and the skycrane appeared the day after.

Funny, along with the skycrane they had a police chopper flying around as well..

Reply to
AM

Just as long as it's not black...

Reply to
Jeff C

Ooops. I forgot. Saw a dark van drive by the house last night....could barely make out the letters...Sikor.....oh no, there kicking down the door, ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! their kicking me! help!!!

Craig

Reply to
who me?

None of the CH-54s are in Army service anymore. Most of the surviving Tarhes have been modified and are now flying forest fire suppression and heavy lift missions, owned by several companies. Some are still in their original OD paint.

It's a great but unsung aircraft.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

And likely to remain that way courtesy of its manufacturer.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

John Hairell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have 2 of the Revell kits. Hard to believe that those are the only kits made of such an interesting aircraft. I would lile to get one of the old Revell jets like the Phanton from the same time period and have the Tarhe hauling a banged up Phantom.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Tamiya did one in 1/100 scale

Reply to
Jer038

Since we're listing models of this subject, Aurora also did one too.

Reply to
Harold McPherson

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jer038) wrote in news:20041125142153.14229.00001160@mb- m13.aol.com:

DOH! I have that one!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (Harold McPherson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Now I'm wondering if the one I did so long ago was the Aurora not the Revell. Guess I'll have to buy one!

Reply to
Gray Ghost