Where Can I Get Tiny Drill Bits in the UK

After some tiny drill bits for my pin vice - for example, to open up the barrel of 8mm machine gun in 1/35 (0.2 or 0.25mm). I nice range up to 1mm would be good.

Any idea of a reasonably priced source in the UK?

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

on 6/20/2008 6:47 PM Nigel Heather After some tiny drill bits for my pin vice - for example, to open up the

I found a few on a google search of - mini drill bits uk -.

Reply to
willshak

Nigel Heather After some tiny drill bits for my pin vice - for example, to open up the

Hannants do drill bits down to 0.5mm, but you'd be best off looking for a local model engineering supplier. Somewhere like this

Their smallest drill bit is no.79 - 15 thou, 0.38 mm. This is the low end of the "numbered" drills.

PCB-making suppliers seem to have 0.3 and 0.2 mm drills - see

?prod=1860 Items this small are low-demand and difficult to manufacture. I doubt you'll get them for pence.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

One *very* reasonably priced source, i.e. FREE, is from your friendly neighborhood dentist. They are always discarding bits that are too dull for their specific work, but are still plenty good for plastic. See if your dentist has any ready to throw away.

Reply to
M. J. Rudy

on 6/20/2008 8:42 PM M. J. Rudy said the following:

I didn't know dentists used drills. I thought they used burrs. At least the ones I got from my dentist were burrs.

Reply to
willshak

they still drill great holes.

Reply to
someone

I have this set.

willshak

But not #79 sized holes. I used to get #78s here at my local shop but it went OOB a few years ago. I guess I could try the model rail shops if I find I need more.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Not setting foot on Vancouver Island...

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I bought a set of 20 drill bits from Maplin. However the sizes range from

0.3 to 1.6mm increasing in increments of 0.05mm for 0.3 to 1.0mm and 0.1mm increments for 1.2 to 1.6mm.

I think I paid about £8.

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" After some tiny drill bits for my pin vice - for example, to open up the

Reply to
catenary

Thanks,

I will get some of those.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

I must admit I only recently ordered something from the UK. However, I found modern internet purchasing pretty painless even when I do not know the exact exchange rate. Any company accepting major credit cards can do the purchase with "foreign" currency.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Cheaper than Maplin:

pcb1962