animator fly-through

Is there a way to do a sketch based fly-through in SW animator? I want to simulate an airplane flying through a tunnel.

Reply to
benjh

hmmm.....should be possible to render any object in a tunnel however there won't be a lot to see.....it might be better to 'leave' the wings at the entrance.... : ) -sorry couldn't resist

Reply to
neil

That makes total and complete sense but as far as I know, no, you can not do this.

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Well, maybe the best you might get is to build the tunnel in segments, as the plane is in just enough to give the illuision, drop off or hide the first section. then repeat this process. Depending on the build of the tunnel multi configs of the length.

The other point is of course from what view point do you want to be viewing from, ie pilots seat, wing tip, top of tail or behind etc.

or export the model to a free animation program which allows fly throughs, such as OpenFX, Blender and others.

Regards Darryl Jenkins Perth Western Australia

Reply to
Darryl Jenkins

Maybe that is the sutle point I was trying to make, it's not a umcommon feature in free animation tools so, it is basic need/want. Fly throughs using 2d/3d splines or paths has been a long time animator want.

With that said, surely it will be a feature in SE or IV soon, no doubt, if not already.

So, yeah, download the free Truespace or whatever freebee but it's still a basic want/need which continues to be sweep under the rug.

SW has something called "Animator" and it does not even have some of the basic features free tools have and have had for 5 plus years.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Benjh,

No you can't do a fly through with animator.

Paul Salvador has NAILED this one. I can't even count the number of times I have submitted this as an enhancement request! Where is it SolidWorks? Where is it?

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

yes here here!

Why dont they just give us a great export fuction so we can go to 3DSMAX with assemblies and parts etc and they be as graphically perfect as they are in SW when Rendered with PhotoWorks. Animation and Rendering problems solved!

if not this.. then at least give us what all the other great cheaper (and somteimes freE) programs have had for ages.

:)

Reply to
DWH

I found out how to due curve driven animation on:

examples on this site are amazing.

..but what I am trying to do is simulate a flythrough from the pilot's perspective. Does anyone know how to relate the viewpoint to a curve?

Reply to
benjh

I don't know anything about what it does, but there is a mention of "Creating a walk through world in SolidWorks" on Joe Jones' old site at:

Maybe that would help....

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

Entering a closed area is the next problem, there is a workaround but it's a pita if you are going to do frames for a animation.

Sorry, but all the workarounds make me really unfun and unhelpful.

I just feel there are enough SW users, enough $$ from the subscription, that features like this should be standard.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Well... actually that was going to be my next addition to the website a few months ago, but I've been too busy lately to finish the project. It was going to be a roller coaster that would go through tunnels and what-not.

I made a prototype example here...

I wanted to make the process as painless as possible and I'm getting close, but it still needs some work. It uses a Macro Feature to get the view to update.

Here are the instructions...

*) Extract all files to any folder *) In SolidWorks under Tools-> Options-> View Rotation, set the animation speed to "Off" *) Open the assembly and hit CTRL-Q to see it work, or play the rebuild macro (included)

All you need to do is add some sort of Cut Extrude feature that is related to the viewing plane to chop the back of the tunnel away as you move through it.

I was going to add my Associative Lights macro to it so you had some headlights as you went through the tunnels.

Yeah, I think I'll start looking into this project again.

Cheers, Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson