Designing ergonomic handle

I need to design an ergonomic tool handle. Think about a knife handle. Left and right handle sides are mirrors. But top and bottom are not(bottom have fingers grooves)

If top and bottom were also mirrors I could easily do it with sweep with ellipse profile. As far as I understand solidworks won't allow me to create two different curves for handle's top and bottom.

Am I right?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thank.

Reply to
Alex

An ellipse is a symmetric element. so whatever is forced on one side by a guide curve is going to be forced on the opposite side. There is no direct restriction on two different guide curves having different influence on a profile that doesn't have symmetry like an ellipse, circle, or a mirrored sketch.

you might consider breaking up your geometry into individual surface sweeps or lofts.

Respect

Reply to
cadishaq

Reply to
Sporkman

Where can I read about surface sweeps or lofts.

Is there any on line tutorial?

Thanks

cadishaq wrote:

Reply to
Alex

Go to:

There are quite a few tutorials.... some curvy stuff....really neat things made by Ed Eaton

Krister L

"Alex" skrev i meddelandet news:ksblc.59036$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
Krister L

You don't have to use the complete ellipse. You could use half of the ellipse for the bottom part and some other shape for the top part. You could also sweep your ellipse, chop off the top half, and then sweep some other shape for the top half.

If you've got the time, and you really should make the time if you are going to do this very often, follow the advice and work through all three of Ed Eaton's tutorials.

Jerry Steiger