end mill cut - how

I just can't figure this out and I'm sure someone has done this before. Assume you have a flat faced endmill and the the corners have a radius (not a ball nose). The end mill is plunged into the work piece (perpendicular to a flat surface) and as it is plunging it is traversing. The endmill is always perpendicular to the origainal flat surface. I hope I'm just in brain fade here and the answer is painfully obvious.

Reply to
Alan Krem, Krem Speed Equipment

Perhaps the answer is obvious.....but the question isn't.

Reply to
Dave Nay

Reply to
That70sTick

Alan,

The fillets on the sides of the cutter aren't a real problem, using a sweep with a profile that matches the cross section of the cutter should do it. The way I would do it would be to make a planar 2D path to drive the traverse and a projected curve used as a guide curve to drive the plunge. This will keep the sweep section perpendicular to the path, which is what it sounds like you want.

One of the problems with trying to simulate cutter paths in SW is the fact that you can't create features which self intersect. A cutter path done as a cut sweep will defintely overlap if you're clearing a face, but may be ok if you're just maching a groove or something.

The tough part with something like this is actually the flat bottom face of the cutter. If the cutter is ramping down so the axis is parallel to Z at all times, the bottom of the cut will be kind of scalloped. The face cut by ramping is not flat because the bottom of the cutter is parallel to the top of the workpiece, not angled at the angle of the ramp. This isn't impossible to make in SW, but it's difficult enough to hardly be worth the bother.

good luck

Reply to
matt

I believe this part has the correct geometry for the type of machining you are doing.

SWX2006 SP4.1

Dave

Alan Krem, Krem Speed Equipment wrote:

Reply to
Dave Nay

Correction. The first model was not correct. I have revised and uploaded again.

If you already downloaded, try again.

Dave

Dave Nay wrote:

Reply to
Dave Nay

Just a different way,..

think this would be more in line with how your cutter would cut/plunge?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Alan, You have not asked a complete question. What is the actual shape (path) of the milled slot that you are looking for? The factors here are: the speed and depth of the plunge, versus the speed of the table traverse. The two extremes are: all plunge, no traverse yields a round milled (drilled) hole, the diameter of your cutter. (very much like the demonstration by Dr. Salvador). Small depth plunge, all fast traverse, yields a flat milled slot, the width of your cutter, the depth of your plunge, with fillets equal to the size of the radii ground at the corners of the milling cutter. The radius, or angle of the "milled slot" that you are looking for can be calculated with trigonometry and calculus.

G. De Angelis De Angelis Tool

That70sTick wrote:

Reply to
G. De Angelis

Anything other than the two extremes of cutting condition stated by G. De Angelis results in a trough with a curved bottom regardless of the path shape provided that any combination of plunge and traverse is present. Remember, the back edge of the cutter is always gouging the area where the traverse path just came from. The radius and depth of the curved bottom in the trough increases as plunge rate overtakes traverse rate until the curve becomes the full cutter diameter (ie a hole). ,

Reply to
jim_duprey

Reply to
Paul Thompson