knurling...

How could I knurl a cylinder surface (diamond shape).

Or at least some cosmetic way in drawing mode.

Thanks for answers.

Reply to
jasamto

I use cosmetec thread with annotation to represent knurl.

Reply to
That70sTick

For just a simple representation on a print/drawing, just insert your view as normal, then select the surface you want to knurl. Use the "area hatch/fill" (insert-annotation-area hatch-fill). I found that the ANSI37, ISOplastic or networking represent well. Then adjust your scale accordingly. You could do it through modeling, but why knock yourself out if the purpose is just for representation on the print?

Good Luck

Scott

Reply to
sunrisr

Thanks to all, yes, I also think is faster not to model the knurl cut.

Reply to
jasamto

That is an understatement " faster not to model the knurl".

My worst of all worst for rebuild times:

  1. Narrow double cut thread to form a knurl looking surface.
  2. Longitudinal splines I had placed every 3 degrees on a hub
  3. Fine pitch thread.

These can bring SolidWorks virtually to its knees, the last time I tried these many years back.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

Hello jasamto,

The techniqe I use is to use the sketch wrap feature to map the diamond sketch into the cylindrical surface. Next I create an offset surface of the diamond using a very tiny amount of outside offset(I use .005") and then I pattern the surface body to get my knurl all over the cylindrical surface. It looks great in the model and also in the drawing views, and adds very little overhead to the part.

-Jeff Setzer Technical Services Manager Graphics Systems Corporation

Astrosetz

Jeff, that is a neat solution.

Thanks - Bo

Reply to
Bo

Would you be so kind as to send me a small example of that - I didn't quite follow well enough for it to sink in. Thanks.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Astrosetz

Now that is Slick! Thanks for that.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Eadie

Ditto for Wayne's request.

Thanks > Would you be so kind as to send me a small example of that - I didn't quite

Reply to
Gary K

What I'll do is write an article on our company's tech blog, SolidNotes. You can get to it from

I'll try to get that up there today.

-Jeff Setzer Technical Services Manager Graphics Systems Corporation

** Please use my work email ( snipped-for-privacy@gxsc.com) for any questions. Thanks! **

Reply to
Astrosetz