Mark Biasotti on Wildfire vs. SolidWorks

Here's a nicely done comparison of Wildfire and SolidWorks as ID tools, based on Mark Biasotti's input:

I was a little surprised by the comparison of Pro/E's Boundary Surface with SW's Loft with Guide Curves, since Fill Surfaces weren't mentioned. Either I'm missing something or the writer misinterpreted Mark. I suspect it's the former and would love to here what I missed.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

From just the free part of this article:

"SolidWorks can't assign tangency or C2 matching at curve endpoints."

"Although SolidWorks enables adjacent lofted surfaces to be tangent, it can't assure continuous curvature (C2) between two surfaces"

"Unfortunately SolidWorks can't connect 3dsketch splines end-to-end with continuous curvature."

"Unfortunately, SolidWorks can't make guide curves tangent or C2 continuous with adjacent surfaces"

After reading this why even pay for the rest as ISDX II is not even covered in the free part of this article ???

jon

jon banquer

Works fine for me.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Hey, jerry.. the link is broken. Can you copy and paste it here?

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

You don't have a clue what it actually means. What's "C2"?

IIRC You even flunked basic shop math (trig) and we know you cannot even do it today without pictures and maps/charts from the supervisor.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

I have already gotten a few e-mails asking for an explanation of what C2 surfacing is and what the hell is it needed for. :>)

I like this simple definition:

"Surfaces are classified in three different ways: C0, C1 and C2 according to the degree of contin-uity (smoothness) of the surface.

A C0 surface has one or more breaks in its continuity. A break in continuity of a surface is an abrupt change in surface direction. For example two flat sheets of metal joined at right angles have an abrupt change in continuity at the right angle. They form a C0 surface.

A C1 surface has one or more changes in curvature that could cause serious problems to the cutter of a machine tool. For example, the cutter could gouge into the metal surface when the curvature changes. You might ask what' s the difference then between a C0 and a C1 surface. Well, a C0 surface has no tangency at the discontinuity, whereas a C1 surface does have tangency. For example, a C1 surface could be made by joining a flat sheet of metal to a curved sheet of metal, such that the flat and the curve are tangential across the joint. Gouging can still occur where the sheets join, especially if the curvature is too much for the machine tool.

C2 surfaces are, as you have probably guessed, the bee's knees. C2 surfaces have continuous curvature."

jon

jon banquer

As explained by Joe Greco:

"C0, C1 and C2 Surface Conditions

Generally, there are three kinds of boundary conditions in a surface model. C0 refers to surfaces that are just touching but could potentially have a shape corner or crease; possible manufacturing problems can result. C1 refers to a tangent (smooth) condition, and C2 to a consistent continuous tangent curvature. With C2, the boundary is imperceptible to the eye-you can't see were one surface begins and where on ends."

jon

jon banquer

times out for me as does the link below.

Still hunting for clues? How long did you search for things to copy?

LOL

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

IOW, You have no clue. Good going (again).

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

You can also read it here...

Coincidently, I just signed up for the free month trial a week ago and was able to enjoy the entire article. Thanks Mark B. for sharing this info!

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

"Coincidently, I just signed up for the free month trial a week ago and was able to enjoy the entire article."

Hmmm.... seems like a good idea. However, if you don't mind, I'm going to skip ALL the Alan Christman CIMDATA "CAM reviews" that companies have to *pay* to have done. Pretty sad state of affairs that scam is and it has been frequently discussed on alt.machines.cnc

One gets much better CAD/CAM advise on alt.machines.cnc or at

for free !

I wonder if Solidworks deform feature is compared to Pro/E Wildfire ? If it is, that should be an very interesting comparison !

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Actually, I think that this is yet another of your usual pack of lies.

[ Search Result 2 From: Jon Banquer Subject: Re: Are CAD/CAM surveys of any value ? Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc

Couldn't this really be summed up with do your research thoroughly and let someone like CIMData play a part in your discussion. I have read numerous reviews by Alan Christman and find most (not all ) of what Alan has to say to be on the money. ]

Which clueless idiot is which?

HAND

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

"SolidWorks' Deform is immature and often can't achieve the desired results. For example, if a designer tries to deform a SolidWorks model too much, the feature will fail, producing an error message. Sometimes deformations fail even when the graphic preview suggests they should work."

Might be interesting to discuss the reasons behind *why* Mark Biasotti did this review. :>)

jon

jon banquer

They refused to pay you for your clueless SPAM? Or even publish your remarks? LOL .... They must have clues ...

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

I should add that Alan Christman of CIMDATA use to work for Control Data which was the parent company for ICEM. Alan Christman use to be a fairly sharp guy but his knowledge in recent years has not kept up and lately he seems to really have "sold out". At one point, you could get some useful info out of what he wrote. I find very little of use these days.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Why the heck would anyone want to pay 25.00 to read a review thru cadcamnet. What a rippoff

Mike J. Wils> You can also read it here...

Reply to
John

Ask him if he remembers me .

You've probably looked at all the pretty pictures.

What are "contin-uity", "boundary conditions" and "consistent continuous tangent curvature"?

Is "tangent" a buzzword?

To define a face how many C2 surfaces are required? IF you have 7 how many do you need? CAN you have 7?

Why not use NURBS?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Jon,

Cadcamnet is the web site for Steven Wolf's stuff "Computer Aided Design Report". It's probably the "only" non biased publication of it's kind. It's not affiliated with CIMDATA or any other similar organization.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM