More OT: Files won't stay not Read Only- XP Pro

Boy sorry about the sorry syntax...
My new machine (2 days old) has XP Pro, I copied a bunch of folders from
my old computer(Win2000) to my new computer over the network, somewhere
along the way they seem to have become 'Read Only', and it seems no
matter how many times I tell them, thru Properties> Attributes> un-Check
Read Only> Apply... to be NOT Read Only, moments later they will again
show to be read only.
Any ideas what's going on here, it's causing me much grief.
Thanks
Whit
Reply to
hayduke
Have you applied Service Pack 1 for XP Pro?
hayduke wrote:
Reply to
Sporkman
I saw that once before. When it says that it's read only, is the read only box checked with a filled in square or is it a check mark? There was some significance to the square, I think... but maybe not. Are you sure you have given yourself admin rights?
matt
hayduke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@chili.com:
> Boy sorry about the sorry syntax... > > My new machine (2 days old) has XP Pro, I copied a bunch of folders from > my old computer(Win2000) to my new computer over the network, somewhere > along the way they seem to have become 'Read Only', and it seems no > matter how many times I tell them, thru Properties> Attributes> un-Check > Read Only> Apply... to be NOT Read Only, moments later they will again > show to be read only. > > Any ideas what's going on here, it's causing me much grief. > > Thanks > Whit > > >
Reply to
matt
Yep, It's got all the updates
Sporkman wrote:
Reply to
hayduke
Hmmm, it is simply a filled in square as opposed to a check mark. I just assumed that was GUI stuff... and maybe it is :o) Thanks.
matt wrote:
Reply to
hayduke
Found the problem- User error,with enough blame for MS & SWX.
Turns out, apparently when running XP on a 2000 network, sometimes, folders show to have Read-Only attributes set (read-only checked), while the files inside can be read-write, and no matter how many times you try to turn the Read Only off, it resets, but don't worry because apparently it's not really read-only, but it is, but it's not.
Anyway this little green box indicating a Read Only folder, along with the 'error' message from solidworks 2004 telling me that either the file was in use by someone else or it was Read Only sent me on a wild goose chase.
Simply setting the Options to... External References> UNCHECK- open referenced files with read-only access & CHECK- Don't prompt to save read-only referenced documents got me going again. Now I have to explain it to my IT guy who spent 2.5 hours this AM trying to help :o/
hayduke wrote: > > Boy sorry about the sorry syntax... > > My new machine (2 days old) has XP Pro, I copied a bunch of folders from > my old computer(Win2000) to my new computer over the network, somewhere > along the way they seem to have become 'Read Only', and it seems no > matter how many times I tell them, thru Properties> Attributes> un-Check > Read Only> Apply... to be NOT Read Only, moments later they will again > show to be read only. > > Any ideas what's going on here, it's causing me much grief. > > Thanks > Whit > >
Reply to
hayduke