P&ID

I understand SW has pipe routing as part of the package and I have seen the dem, but can it do upfront P&ID drawings that may also be parametric in nature or linked to the final piping design. I have now seen the AutoCad P&ID product that is a step above normal 2D drawing with some intellect, but it still lacks a strong pipig module. Has anyone evaluted the Autocad versus what typically might be done in SW?

Reply to
krupnikas

Since SW piping is all done in 3D before you get the 2D drawings I would say it has been a step ahead for a long time in terms of helping the user determine things like fit and function. However, I am not sure about the detailing side of the SW piping product which is what a lot of people depend on.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

first there is nothing that i know of that does P&ID's or PFD's in SolidWorks like they are done in ACAD software. you can add this information into custom properties of each file as you model them or place them. there is nothing that i know of that will translate this information into P&ID or PFD format.

the last time i set this up for a user it was in ACAD2000. and there was no 3D plumbing link at that time.

SolidWorks can model them. if i were to do these types of drawings again i was going to look at Visio Technical as it has a module to support them. there would still be no link but the usability of Visio is very good and easily editable. my 2=A2 worth, iQ

Reply to
iQ

"krupnikas" skrev i en meddelelse news:30tik.40$aA5.18@trnddc05...

Asking the question indicate that you are dealing with process or plant design. If you should do this on a regular basic, then try search the web for "Intelligent P&ID".

Actually Intelligent P&ID is not 2D!!!

That's because a plant model consist of a logical and a physical part. SW today can only handle the physical part.

Handling the P&ID in a dedicated application or a CAD system with associations would be intelligent, handling it in a CAD system as a drawing (2D) would require manual updates, Visio together with SW would fall in the last group as associations is poor.

And then I have a request, if any one falls over a figure showing the above definitions the please reply.

The figure I saw a month ago was a diagram with four columns above some ERP system, left column is the "Intelligent P&ID", center column is the "3D model", and right column is "2D", with the plot archive on top, and the some extra details. I would like to find it again but cant.

Regards

Peter

Reply to
Peter A. Jensen

Hello,

Another option you might not be aware of is Visio Professional. If you have the professional version of Visio on the same workstation as SW you can insert the Visio application directly into the SW drawing. This allows one to use the standard SW Title Block to generate drawings but use the power of visio to create intelligent component/ valve/piping lists.

It has pro's and con's like anything else.

Len

Reply to
lmar