Project time

A little off topic so I apologise in advance. I'd like to find a really basic and easy to use project time recorder to make recording time spent on projects easier. There are a number of such software packages available but having looked at a good number they are either too complicated or just not reliable. I'm looking for something that just sits in the system tray or task bar and puts up a customisable list of projects that you can just click on and off to start timing. No fancy cost accounting or billing required - as I said, just simple but effective. Anyone got a recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Teckkno

One way I've done this is to set up an Excel spreadsheet with a Description column, a Start column, a Finish column and a Total Time column. I recorded the following macro to take the current date and time and put it in the active cell. I just enter a description on the next row, put the cursor in the Start column and run the macro which I assigned to Ctrl+t. Then I save the spreadsheet and close it. When I'm done I re-open the spreadsheet, go to the Finish column and press Ctrl+t again to enter the current time. It is basic and simple. I can send you a sample spreadsheet if you like just let me know. Remove the underscore from the email address.

Regards Mark Downey

Sub CutPasteTime() ' CutPasteTime Macro ' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+t ' ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=NOW()" Selection.Copy Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _ False, Transpose:=False Application.CutCopyMode = False End Sub

Reply to
Mark Downey

I made a free add-in called RedLight

that records the time actually spent working in a SolidWorks session. I was considering improving it one of these days, tell me if it would fit your needs:

1) accumulate time spent on each document in a custom property 2) when closing a document add a line "with docname;username;date;time spent" in a text log file that you can open in Excel

How much would you pay for this ?

-- Philippe Guglielmetti -

Philippe Guglielmetti

I use the journal funtions of Microsoft Outlook.

SEA

Reply to
scota