Re: Some software companies miight have considered this while setting up their help files//and business plan etc.

>... > >If the help files and tutorials were complete, easy and accurate.... >so that the customerrs could buy the software out of the box and run >with it.... then no 2,000 dollar a year maintenance fees would be >required...with access to the help desk etc... just occasional minor >upgrades > > >....... not saleable by themselves for a third the original cost of the >software ... so the help desk is made into a vital component of the >business model... > > >If simple video's were made of each new release in operation, easy to >produce with streaming screen shots.. then a person wanting to do a >set of comands, they could simply find the video, and run it. > >But no... these are not available from the software vendors in many >cases. .. a few are. but only say 1% of their capability a the most. > > > > >To get past the wall of bugs, bogus tutorials, and dirth of >tutorials... you have to call their help desk...at $2,000 service >fee per year.,... kachingggg. ....... for life... thats a 20k sale >with maybe 90% profit ...as the help is needed primarly on the front >end...but not so much later. > >(and yes you do get the bug fixes etc in that also...but its not >saleable for that kind of money. > > > >*** > >The legitimate aspects > >Such bugs and bogus instructions also help them in regard to people >pirating their software.... > >if someone pirates their software, they get all these bogus tutorials >and help menu's...so for newbie pirates at least, life is hard. If >a person pays for the software they get real good help from der help >desk. > > >That would be a legitimate reason to produce bad help files, and >tutorials etc. I suspect that is the case. > > >**** > >If that is indeed the intent, it sure as hell makes life tough as hell >on new users... old users can get past the bugs, and arcane >instructions fairly easily... (or users that have friends who know the >software) > > > >*** >I am trying out some cheaper software as well, solid modeling >included, and with direct modeling, no history... TurboCAD. > >I notice an absolutely vast difference in is instructions and help >menu's... > >I got mechancal PRO, 1,000 dollars.. not worth pirating ... if you >dont get the book with it...and it costs money to print and ship the >book,.... so its not pirated to any great degree. > > > >The book that comes with it, so far, is clean...simple directions, >1500 pages on how to do everything, 4 lines of words, where the more >costly vendors would take a page or two.... > >....Help desk is available *free. thats probably because they dont >need to do a lot on the phone, the book is pretty clear...and the >software pretty clean, short on bugs or arcane baloney.... its all >boringly straight forward. > > >why? they do not have to fear pirates like the higher end vendors >do... these make their money on huge volume, one high end vendor I >know is apparently trying to make it on 3 guys.... I wish them well. > > > > >I think this might be whats going on. > > > > > >Phil scott

Conspiracy theories are alluring, but I suggest the explanation is simpler:-

There are not enough brains in this world to correctly program and document all the computers that we rely on. If you were smart, would you prefer to work for a bemoth like Microsoft/Dassault or a small CAD company?

Reply to
johnsuth