Re: what is a .tec file and how do I import it into solidworks?

3D,
I have no idea what type of file it is but if it's not on the "file-open", list you can't.
Where did you get it ??

Mark
"3d" <jmiller at marvelindustries dot com> wrote in message

http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=tec
I think it's a tecplot file?
http://www.tecplot.com / http://www.tecplot.com/showcase/studies/2003/tecat.htm
You'll most likely have to find a convertor for whatever format you are trying to attain,... point (xyx), mesh, surface...?
..
Or... it's GPS Plot data?
Depending on how large the plot data is, it could be converted to a xyz format which could be used in SW?? But, if it's truly a global measurement, and with the SW 1km limitation, I doubt if it will work in SW?
Otherwise, maybe importing it into a program (acad, bentley,..) which do not have the 1km limitation and localizing it with the hope the data in need is <1km or it will have to be broken into smaller segments or scaled for use in SW?
again,.. doing a search... there are some converters out there, depending on what you want to convert it back into?
..
Upon further discussion with the source, I was told to change the .tec to .zip, a compressed format, and then extract the data. Worked like a charm! I am still not sure if it is a compression utility format or a cad compression format. It worked anyway, tuck that away as a possiblity for getting your data. The funny thing is I sent them the import/export breakdown from swx help to determine what I could use....oh well. Thanks for the help!
Hmm,.. maybe they were trying too hide the format from antivirus software?
So, the *.tec file was actually a *.zip (zipped) .sldprt?
..
3d wrote:

a zipped iges actually. Maybe, about the virus, i always just drop the p *.zi_. But you would be amazed at how many people can't even rename a file! Thanks for the help.
If you open the file as if it were a text file in Notepad or Wordpad, you may be able to read some header information that could give you some clues.
"3d" <jmiller at marvelindustries dot com> wrote in message

Winzip files internally start with "PK" (a holdover from PKZIP), Executables start with "MZ" (from Mark Zbikowski, an ex-MS developer), etc etc